Alexandrine or Tineh African Grey?

Crazy Bird

Feb 22, 2010
So if you had to choose which would you pick and why? I have a difficult decision to make fairly quickly and would love your opinions and feedback! Both are hand-raised and just weaned... Thanks so much for your help!

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Tough decision. Alexandrines are wonderful, and Greys are awesome too... I don't know, if you want a bird that is smart but more colorful and a tad less needy, get the Alexandrine. If you're willing to dedicate your whole day to your new best friend and have hours of talking and play, get a Grey.

I can't decide...is there an option to get both perhaps? ;)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I don't have a grey - yet - but I do have an Alex. He's great, very laid-back and not noisy at all. The only thing I'd change about him, would be to increase his cuddliness. Right now he doens't like to be touched at all. This may just be my Max's personality. Aside from that he's very social and wants to be with us. He loves to sit on my shoulder and go with me wherever I go, he even "helps" with housework.

Alexandrines do need a cage about the same size a Timneh would need because of their long tails. I don't think they need quite as much attention as greys, but they want to be with their family. They are supposedly good talkers, but Max hasn't said anything yet.

MisterBiscuits

Apr 12, 2010
Miami
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Male Vosmaeri Eclectus, Queen of Bavaria Conures, Blue & Gold Macaw, White Bellied Caique, Blue-Mutation Quaker, Yellow Nape Amazon, 2 Doves, 9 Parakeets
Parrotqueen summed it up nicely! Timneh's are a little more laid back than their Congo cousins, but they are still "greys" and prone to drama, good and bad. Alex's are actually much more than they appear in both personality and intelligence - that is, with proper love and attention.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Not familiar with the Timneh's at all. Spiritbird will be able give feedback, Rosie is a Timneh. My AG Mishka, is a great companion, requires lots of attention. Thrives on her daily routine. Mishka plays on her playpen 2 hours before dinner, There after, an hour sitting on my lap training and interacting with her. Mishka is a chatterbox, talks 24/7, loves clowning around.
Keep in mind, each bird has a different fascinating personality.
Good luck

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
OK here comes Rosie Alexandra - (Timneh) I got her from a renound Fla. breeder named African Queen. AT 13 weeks she was a cuddly little love. She still is but has that independence they do develop and need. She loves to play and can easily be taught a trick. Her talking has been a little slow but coming along. She is small at about 290 gms. (actual). She can be content to play alone in the cage too. I am very happy to have her and wish I had done it sooner.

OP
C

Crazy Bird

Feb 22, 2010
Thank you all so much for your replies and help!

Do you think one may be more prone to nippiness, biting, aggression/mood swings than the other? Whether it be hormonal or personality traits? And I've always heard Grey's are "dusty", how dusty are they really? Is it extreme? Does regular bathing help with that? I really want a companion bird who "enjoys" spending time with me and my family...

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Greys are very dusty, the people who told you are absolutely right. Getting a HEPA filter and regular bathing helps.

I don't happen to know about moodiness though, seems like that would be determined when they're hormonal.

A bird that would enjoy hanging around with family? You can get that from both, just as long as they're hand-raised. If the bird has imprinted on humans, then it most likely will enjoy human company.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
I would pick the grey! I don't know exactly why I am just drawn to them. I handled a Timneh at a store once and he seemed like a very sweet, fun bird. I know from my teils a hepa filter is a must with dusty birds.

Most Reactions