aloe water

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
i got 2 aloe plants today hoping that it might soothe my itchy ziggy bird. ive read about misting with aloe water instead of plain water but...how do i make this? or is it best to just feed him pieces? im hesitant to let him touch the plant right now as it just came from walmart, i wanna repot them in fresh organic soil and let them rid themselves of any fertilizers that may have been absorbed. so itll be awhile before i use any of it. just putting out feelers and trying to come up with ideas on how to use this plant. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have only used Aloe as a topical. Break / cut the plant and squeeze the Aloe into a small bowl, add a tiny amount of water, and mix. Apply by hand (finger tip(s)) cupping the Aloe and bring that small amount to the specific area needing attention. Apply to the skin at the base of the feather. Avoid coating the feather(s), not always easy, but made easier by limiting the amount applied. Coating the feathers only invites unwanted attention from the parrot.

Check why your parrot has this problem, dry skin, feathers coming in, etc...

Last edited:
OP
littleredhen77

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
as i read more about this, i may just scrap the entire idea of using this on him. i do NOT wanna cause more itching/chewing, and i can just as easily just stick to daily showers and misting with water in between on hot days. they are pretty plants though so im still glad i have them, i just cant see myself using them on any animal unless i was 100000% sure it would be ok and beneficial to them.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Does Ziggy get a real drenching at any time as this may help reduce the itching. Misting / spraying tends to just sit on the feathers.

OP
littleredhen77

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
He gets soaked every morning right down to his skin in the shower, and sometimes I'll mist him in the afternoon. He's been molting since February and his head and neck seem to be his itchiest part.

Most Reactions

Latest posts