Alterinitives to Non-stick cookware.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I purchased a full non-stick pan set about a year and a half ago - before we had seriously considered getting a macaw (been thinking about it for a while, but weren't serious at the time).

Now that I am getting a macaw next year, I've been going through and eliminating any 'bird hazards' around the home. My cookware though was something that I was beginning to stress over as I had no idea what it was.

Contacted the company (Baccarat) and asked them if the set I had contained PTFE and PFOA. They wrote back to confirm (after checking) that they were PTFE and PFOA free and that my cookware was actually ceramic.

I've heard that stainless steel and surprisingly glass were other alternatives to consider.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Yes, put water in the pan while it is still hot. Then eat your food. By the time you are finished eating you can scrub it easily. I PROMISE
Also you can get a bottle of creamy liquid stainless steel cleaner. Sometimes after frying hamburger patties it will leave a filmy look after cleaning. A few drops of that cleaner and a few wipes and that is sparkling again.

Are you referring to Cameo?? I use it and love it. For those wondering, it's a white powder that you sprinkle on the area and then use a water-soaked sponge to turn it into a light paste and that helps take things off and makes the steel all shiny. They make one for Copper too.

Actually I use a creamy liquid....Cameo is good though. You can find some stainless steel cleaners on Amazon ......I have had it a long time and don't know if they still even have the brand I have.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
just thought i would add that obviously pouring cold water out of your tap into the hot pan will warp the base of the pan. i agree with everything thats been said, just boil the kettle first and put the boiling water in it to sit for a bit. be careful of the steam though :p

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
just thought i would add that obviously pouring cold water out of your tap into the hot pan will warp the base of the pan. i agree with everything thats been said, just boil the kettle first and put the boiling water in it to sit for a bit. be careful of the steam though :p

Good point. Always use extremely hot water.

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl
Lovebirds - Salsa and Peeps

Angel Cockatiels - Chloe and Quasimodo
What do you guys think of this brand:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AMUELO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p79_d0_g79_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1TSPZVV2M9BBBMYSQSDF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846]Amazon.com: The 10" Green Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri, with Smooth Ceramic Non-Stick Coating (100% PTFE and PFOA Free): Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I have the Calphalon nonstick but I'll pack those up so that my husband doesn't accidently use them.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
For me personally I would avoid it. I know it says ceramic but I have felt those and they sort of feel ceramic but still have a teflon like fee, which makes me wonder what other chemicals they are using to bond the ceramic. They satisfy our concerns with those 2 chemicals but what are they using now that will eventually be found to be dangerous? Let's face it, ceramic in itself is not NON stick.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Lead is non-stick, and although illegal, is sometimes found in cookware. I don't know, but would be wary of it in any coating... :(

There are lead test kits available, but the ones I've seen are over a dollar a swipe.

Be careful, ya' hear?

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I am too scared to use anything with a non stick coating whether PTFE, et al free or not. I have read too many stories of birds dying after their owners used 'bird safe' declared things. I just can't take the chance. We use cast iron for skillets, stainless steel for sauce/soup pots and glass/ceramic bakeware. The cast iron is non stick after seasoning and use and very easy to clean. Plus the heat distribution and retention can't be beat. It makes an excellent cooking surface, better than any non stick pan I've ever owned.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
You know it is kind of funny, years ago we accepted the drudgery of washing our pots and pans and dishes. Modern day conveniences have totally made us lazy. I have used non stick in the past until I became and natural and organic person and I haven't used them now for years even before I had a bird. They are not safe for us either.

We need to realize it is worth the extra work of cleaning pans to save our birds and ourselves.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I am too scared to use anything with a non stick coating whether PTFE, et al free or not. I have read too many stories of birds dying after their owners used 'bird safe' declared things. I just can't take the chance. We use cast iron for skillets, stainless steel for sauce/soup pots and glass/ceramic bakeware. The cast iron is non stick after seasoning and use and very easy to clean. Plus the heat distribution and retention can't be beat. It makes an excellent cooking surface, better than any non stick pan I've ever owned.

I couldn't agree more!! That was my point in my previous posts, in regards to so-called "bird safe" non-stick cookware. My current home contains lead paint. I can't wait to get outta here, between that and the mold that is seriously affecting my health, I'm looking forward to a place where I can get healthy again. I've taken enough risks as it is, I won't risk more than I have to when there are sure-fire preventatives and alternatives.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I either use cast iron skillets, stainless steel or enameled pots and pans. Although I do have a non-stick waffle maker (me likes my waffles:). If I decide to make waffles, I go out on the porch where I have an electrical outlet and open breeze way. So it doesn't affect the birds.

Most Reactions