Alternatives to Happy Huts

kiwicoated

Jul 24, 2014
Arizona
Parrots
Booka, Cinnamon GCC
Woah! I had no idea those were so dangerous. When I got Booka, she had a happy hut in her cage and sleeps in it every night. I don't want to risk her life so I'm curious if any of you know a good alternative. She seems to like sleeping in it so I wanted to get her something similar. Ideas?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, if she isn't chewing on it, happy huts aren't that much of a problem, in my opinion. I had a conure that lived in his, when not inside my shirt, for 12 years... never once had an issue with it.

I had two other conures that once chewed a hole in my shirt (i.e. in a matter of minutes) while riding around on my shoulder, big enough to get a head stuck in... so ANYTHING CAN...

Just inspect it for freyed, warn, and chewed areas.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Birdman is right. If the bird isn't a chewer (or at least doesn't chew the hut), they aren't dangerous.If a bird is a big chewer, they CAN pose a threat and just shouldn't be offered. Your bird doesn't NEED to sleep in a hut, it's just a cozy kind of this for some.

Our amazon has a home-made hut he's slept in every night since we got him over 6 years ago with no issue. I made his out of that "quilted" cotton fabric simply because I HATE sewing with fluffy fabrics. If it's the fluff you fear, try making one out of cotton (you could even use all natural cotton) instead.

Most Reactions