Alternatives to Volunteering at Rescues

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Hi guys! As you know, I'm still researching and waiting before adopting a companion. That being said, since it'll be at least six months before I can even purchase a cage for a future fid, I was hoping to get more exposure to the little guys.

Unfortunately, where I currently live, there are no bird rescues to volunteer at. Local humane societies only handle dogs and cats, since birds are considered a 'hobby', largely stemming from historical/cultural roots. There is a so-called sanctuary with terrible conditions (we're talking 5 conures in one pet cage the size of 28x18x18 inches, and cages stacked 3 high and packed against all the walls for a total of 3000 birds - selling each parrot at about 1.5k USD). I'm part of a few local Facebook groups as well, but they promote things such as feeding ekkies seeds and pellets, using chains on legs instead of harnesses, keeping parrots in small cages, etc.

So my question to you knowledgeable folks: what would be a good alternative to gain experience to interacting with parrots, not necessarily ekkies? Anything you can brainstorm as an alternative, so I can get a better hands-on experience with the responsibility that comes with them?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Search for an Avian Vet in your area. They may know of a small Rescue that for any number of reasons may not be on the Internet. Or, may be open to your volunteering at their clinic. Also, check if your local Zoo has Avians and volunteer there.

Hope this helps.

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Awesome! I hadn't thought of reaching out to the avian vets - and I have one just down the street! Thanks :)

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
The other option is to go online and find private breeders in your area, and just call around, asking them if they could "mentor you" for a while...

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Unfortunately, where I currently live, there are no bird rescues to volunteer at. Local humane societies only handle dogs and cats, since birds are considered a 'hobby', largely stemming from historical/cultural roots. There is a so-called sanctuary with terrible conditions (we're talking 5 conures in one pet cage the size of 28x18x18 inches, and cages stacked 3 high and packed against all the walls for a total of 3000 birds - selling each parrot at about 1.5k USD). I'm part of a few local Facebook groups as well, but they promote things such as feeding ekkies seeds and pellets, using chains on legs instead of harnesses, keeping parrots in small cages, etc.
That’s not a sanctuary. That’s a hoarding situation that should be reported to someone with the authority to investigate and hopefully impound the birds ...

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
The other option is to go online and find private breeders in your area, and just call around, asking them if they could "mentor you" for a while...

That was my next thought after rescues, but unfortunately, most breeders here sell off their babies at only a couple weeks old :( It's quite scary to see. I'm still looking for humane options when the time comes to adopt, but it seems the safest I can be assured that the parrot hasn't been traumatised from young or stolen from the wild is if someone wants to 'give up [their] hobby'.

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
That’s not a sanctuary. That’s a hoarding situation that should be reported to someone with the authority to investigate and hopefully impound the birds ...

I personally agree with you! But where I am, it's a local/cultural struggle to straddle seeing birds as living creatures who deserve a good life or, from my comparison, a large attractive thing that makes pretty sounds (basically the equivalent of the same respect you might give a shiny beetle? Maybe more like a fish?). It's really a battle of old school traditions versus the younger generation. So authorities won't investigate for birds, but will investigate for cats or dogs if there's enough social media uproar.

In a way, I'm glad my heart is set on an ekkie because their demanding diets allow me to be free from pet stores.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Where do live? It doesn't sound like an area that is very bird-friendly at all...

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Where do live? It doesn't sound like an area that is very bird-friendly at all...

I currently live in Southeast Asia, quite close to where eclectus parrots are indigenous, which means it's quite fast to smuggle the birds across unfortunately. I had no clue it was this way here for the parrots until I started reading more after I returned a lost ekkie home. That being said, I'm a multicultural child, so it's easier for me to mentally accept cultural differences but also knowing where I personally stand. Can't change the industry, but hopefully I can make a difference in one parrot's life!

Am hoping the avian vets here will be more considerate of parrots' needs, but if not, I won't hesitate to pressure them into doing all the necessary tests :)

I'm just glad to be learning from you guys here!

Most Reactions

Latest posts