Always On Me...Problem?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I brought my Pineapple home when he was 12 weeks old. He is now 20 weeks.
Right from the start he has been extremely tame, sitting with me watching TV and just enjoying being petted.

After a few weeks, he still wants to be with me ALL THE TIME. He doesn't sit still anymore as he runs all over me when we sit. Think energizer bunny on steroids. 😉
He has an extensive playground but will only play if I am standing right there. If I move to the chair (6' away) he will fly off the playground and be with me.
If he sees me leave the room, he flys over to me.

My concern is that when he is out of his cage, HE ONLY WANTS TO STAY WITH ME...PERIOD! Although flattered, this makes it very difficult for me to do anything if he is out. I was hoping he would play when out but, no.

Is this common for GCC's and will he grow out of this when older? Don't misunderstand me, I love him being with me but would also like to see him play with his playground toys.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sounds you you have yourself a happy healthy conure baby doing what conures do! Welcome to parronthood

You can work on this with station training (stay on command) and recall training (fly to you con command). Remember they have the intelligence of a 2 year old so you can train them to do whatever you want, like you can train a dog.

Also, socialize him with others, soon and often. Conures can easily become one person birds - allowing only their primary caretaker to handle them while becoming aggressive to everyone else. This needs to be headed off by giving him as many new experiences as possible, with as many different people as possible. Get a pak o bird, go hiking, picnics, Home Depot, whatever. Getting antsy when you are gone is one sign it’s beginning already.

Quincy69

May 7, 2018
Right from the start he has been extremely tame, sitting with me watching TV and just enjoying being petted.

After a few weeks, he still wants to be with me ALL THE TIME. He doesn't sit still anymore as he runs all over me when we sit. Think energizer bunny on steroids. [emoji6]
He has an extensive playground but will only play if I am standing right there. If I move to the chair (6' away) he will fly off the playground and be with me.

My concern is that when he is out of his cage, HE ONLY WANTS TO STAY WITH ME...PERIOD! Although flattered, this makes it very difficult for me to do anything if he is out. I was hoping he would play when out but, no.

Is this common for GCC's and will he grow out of this when older? Don't misunderstand me, I love him being with me but would also like to see him play with his playground toys.
OMG I'm glad I'm not the only one this is happening too....lol

Our Quincy is the exactly the same way! Is it just the baby bird coming out in them?....lol......i tell him like mom used to tell me... do you have ants in your pants?.....lol.......he wants to be either on my finger, or preening my face and ears...lol

I added a few more toys to his cage to keep him occupied while in there to maybe burn off some energy...lol

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hey, you wanted a conure, known to be snuggle hounds. And surprise surprise, you got one. Teach him to let you know when he has to poop, keep him in his cage when doing things that are dangerous and you're all set for the next 30-35 years.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Welcome to the world of Conures...you'll be happy to know that my 2 year old yellow-sided Green Cheek is exactly the same way now at 2 years...So it's not changing any time soon! This is a Conure thing, they are clingy, cuddly, and want nothing but to be with their person or people.

I found that I had to be the one to change, because Bowie sure as hell isn't going to change, lol...So if I have to do something that he can't be with me for he goes in his cage. Otherwise I just have to deal with the fact that he's going to be near me/beside me/on me/screaming at me 95% of the time...

Pampa

May 24, 2018
Northern Ca
Parrots
Jazzy Pizazzy, Jenday Conure ~
Corbin, Nanday Conure (little Crow) ~
Lucky & Mojo, the Budgies ~
Pampa Blue Crown Conure lost 6/18/2019 ☹️
Okay I have a question. Is this all conures or just GCC conure behavior. I didn’t get a baby cuz I was afraid I wouldn’t raise one good enough. I was going to get a GCC but worried they would be too clingy for me. I now have, for less than a week, a BCC, 3 years old. He is taking this relationship way faster then I expected. He is all over me, kissing me, rolling into my hand onto his back. So are all conures this way, not just the GCC? The same or less than GCC? My dogs are looking at me disgusted that a parrot is taking up lap space?

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Ummm, it's not only conures and not only baby birds. My Hawk Head Nike, who we believe is in her 20's, became a glue bird once we let her wings grow out.

It is flattering but is is also a royal PITA if you're trying to get anything done or need to go out of the house.

We got her wings clipped last month in preparation for the camping season but that lasted a day. She's a strong flyer and apparently 5 feathers on each wing was not enough to keep her down. Plus, she's molting so feathers are slowly being replaced.

What the clipping did do was slow her down, now instead of acting like a bird at a bird feeder she's a little slower to react when you walk by ;)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
My first post here was the same thing

http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/69829-my-bird-too-attached-me.html

What I've come to realize is there really isn't anything I can't do without him on my shoulder and I don't mind it....

Now if I'm going to use a power tool I put him back inside or away but for most routine life....we are a flock....we stick together.

Not all Gccs from my reading are so bonding....but I think the majority are, if you look at the forum board species specific, conures win by a landslide...I think this has to do with their intelligence and their natural bonding and cuddly demeanor. also they talk and play and they are less intimidating than the larger parrot breeds. They are also good with children and understand it's ok to thumb wrestle with daddy but not with kiddy.

It's just a well balanced bird, not to big not to small, trainable, usually not to loud, good with families. Not the smartest, not dumb by any means. and an absolute clown for attention.

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Thanks for all of the replies. It just amazes me how I spent a lot of $$ on an elaborate playground for him. Toys, swings, ropes, ladders, mats, perches, bells, balls, etc....so what does he play with...my shirt collar...WHILE IM WEARING IT! ��

Gotta love 'em.

Gxg

Sep 15, 2016
GA
Parrots
Peace & Quiet (Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conures, brother and sister). They are my babies whom I love very much and they are such a blessing.

After a few weeks, he still wants to be with me ALL THE TIME. He doesn't sit still anymore as he runs all over me when we sit. Think energizer bunny on steroids. 😉

My Baby Girl Qui Qui does that all the time - and ironically, she did not always seem attached to me. It seemed more so that she was aloof to me while her brother (as both were from the same clutch) was always trying to get my attention. But she later became VERY tied to me when I gave her hugs/carried her around the house. Now, if I am sitting down or working or walking, she'll fly to my shoulder and sit besides me. It can be awkward but then I remember she's essentially my child and needs that kind of attachment. In the morning time, as they sleep on the bathroom door at night, THEY will both fly over to me as I am lying down in bed and it is a blessing.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I have 2 conures. If I am at home...they are on me....I am at home a lot...they are on me a lot...this is what I look like if I am at home (yes they are potty trained):

Sometimes I look like this:
Zz3pcCJ.jpg

And sometimes I look like this:
QypjGgC.jpg

Or this:
lo7uRKZ.jpg

If I want to take a break this is what happens 1 to 5 minutes after I put him down to eat a piece of chocolate:
fxr3P0T.jpg

Your conure is normal....

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I have 2 conures. If I am at home...they are on me....I am at home a lot...they are on me a lot...this is what I look like if I am at home (yes they are potty trained):

Sometimes I look like this:
Zz3pcCJ.jpg

And sometimes I look like this:
QypjGgC.jpg

Or this:
lo7uRKZ.jpg

If I want to take a break this is what happens 1 to 5 minutes after I put him down to eat a piece of chocolate:
fxr3P0T.jpg

Your conure is normal....

This is kind of adorable!:)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
This is kind of adorable!:)

Agreed!

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
That's what it's really like! <3

Most Reactions