Am I doing ok?

Gingerchezy

Jul 21, 2012
England
Parrots
GCC: Chewie
So my lovely conure Chewie is about 8 months old and a little rascal. And she's the best little birdy in the world to me.

I think we're doing ok but I want to be the best I can at looking after her. She eats well, not pellets but a healthy seed, nut and dried fruit mix and a different fresh fruit or veg each day.

I think she's fairly well behaved... Its just she's started the 'beaking' a bit again, like nibbling my arms and hands possibly for effect. I'm teaching her things like step up, but she'll ONLY do it for a treat or if she wants to go somewhere, and she has a bit of a do when its time to go back in her cage so I always just pick her up by putting my hand over her and gently scooping her up.

Does this all sound like normal green cheek conure behaviour? Am I doing alright for her? I do tend to worry sometimes! :) like if me picking her up in an undignified way might start some mis-trust or bad behaviours!

Any hints, ideas or just 'stop worrying you're fine' would be very much appreciated :)

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
I don't know anything about gcc's but I was told a trick and it works for my sun conure. They began to beak/bite my hand after stepping up. Nothing really bad but uncomfortable. The trick is whenever they did this to twist my hand, not to fast but enough to make them rethink about breaking my hand. They don't try it anymore.

OP
G

Gingerchezy

Jul 21, 2012
England
Parrots
Ah thats a good idea! I'll try it if she does it while she's perched on my hand. It tends to be a lot more when she's sat on my lap or climbing about on me - if theres an arm or hand within reach she'll have a good nibble!

yoshidaboss

Sep 9, 2012
tenn
Parrots
sun conure,
yoshi

baby sun... 6month's
thunderfoot (j/k no name yet)
i can tell when yoshi is about to bite, cause her hackles flare up....

then i just pull away a few times (while shes striking) an she somehow understands that i dont want to be bitten, and it turns into soft nips, then she just steps ups.

but its never really consistent with her, she likes to run/fly away alot too

OP
G

Gingerchezy

Jul 21, 2012
England
Parrots
Ah yeah Chewie's feathers round the back of her head and neck spike up and she's gone at me a couple of times, beak open, ready for the attack! Cheeky bird.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I don't know anything about gcc's but I was told a trick and it works for my sun conure. They began to beak/bite my hand after stepping up. Nothing really bad but uncomfortable. The trick is whenever they did this to twist my hand, not to fast but enough to make them rethink about breaking my hand. They don't try it anymore.

i do this for all my birds when they get nippy its the best way and it stops it! I would try to add pellets as well as seeds and i always offer fresh fruits and veggies they are the healthiest but dried is healthy too just not as healthy. Good luck with your baby GCC make amazing pets :)

OP
G

Gingerchezy

Jul 21, 2012
England
Parrots
Thank you for your replies! Its nice to get some reassurance :) its just me and Chewie here in my flat so theres nobody to tell me to stop worrying! :)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
You're doing great... Teach her to be gentle... Give a squeak when she bites hard... She'll stop, then tell her 'good girl' immediately... You have to keep on reminding them, because their peers have feathers, and we don't... They do tend to forget that part...

They love rough play, and just need to know when it hurts...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013

Most Reactions