Am I doing something wrong

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
So once again Keiko bit me...this time I was just giving her a metal ring off an old toy to play with...I'm starting to rethink if this is a good idea...please help...she does good with pressure when she is being beaky...but these are bites with no warning( pinning and such) that I can see...maybe i'm not cut out for this...

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I have no experience with macaws and their personalities, but I hope someone does and gives you feedback. Can't imagine a Macaw's bite....OUCH. All I know is not to take it too personal. There must be a way to understand why she is biting and what you can do to avoid them.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
i'm not scared of her or anything but it is getting to the point that I don't know what is going to set her off...she is such a sweet bird and then bam... i can deal with it but I jsut know that she is a people/ person bird and I hate to not be able to give her what she needs because she is always biting and such.... maybe I just don't know how to read her yet...I guess i was under the thought that BG's are more of a loveable macaw... especially compared to the amazon...lol... just frustrated... I know that there isn't a one size fits all covering for how they will act and personality... I don't want to give up but I'm tired of getting bit

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Maybe give her a bit of space then and let her come to you. Spending quality time with a bird is not always interacting or touching, but also being in the same room, talking to it etc....Sometimes, the biting is a way to tell you that they need you to back off a bit and let them move at their own pace. You can offer toys/treats by placing them near her as well.

Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
on a physical level, if you watch their eyes the pupils will constrict before any biting, or speaking or any other "thinking" that they are doing.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
You know, you could always go check out your local Goodwill store & other thrift stores to see if any have any suits of armor or chain mail.....

Maybe you need to try clicker training or at least teach her what 'NO Bite' means & what time-out means.....

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No, you're not doing anything wrong.

Remember that Keiko IS going through her terrible twos. ;) And that is NO myth either. Niko was more than a handful during that time. And even though I lavishly celebrated his 3rd birthday with him, I need to remind him daily that he should be over that difficult time period now. :54:

They WILL test you. They WILL do things when you least expect them.

Don't blame yourself though, and of course don't blame Keiko either.

It just happens...and as time goes on, I'm sure Keiko will calm down and hopefully become more predictable again. :)

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wendy is completely correct And I'd also like to add you haven't had Keiko that long so give it some time. If your ok dealing with it then just teach that when you bite a negative reaction happens such as being out down or no bite, etc... She is a young bird and going through that stage so it's just a manner of teaching her some manners and moving on:)

Most Reactions