Amazon Central

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Poor Kelly is like why me the whole time:rolleyes: Of course I'm the crazy one that was like well let's make an Amazon flight today since I brought Kelly. This isn't even close to all the shelter amazons. Just a group we thought would get along well enough.
Yq6dK9H.jpg

UjjLvjE.jpg

1k9r9AT.jpg

cQCqQbY.jpg

Riq9hUT.jpg

nI6zHIa.jpg

[ame="https://youtu.be/MC789qK4k6c"]Amazon 6 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/m46WzOegQ88"]Amazon 1 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/Ga9hU29tOU4"]Amazon 3 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/0jVy0jLZZCw"]Amazon 5 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
That's so awesome. So many beautiful Amazons in one place. Amazon speak in overdrive. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When that many Amazons are gathered, taking-over the World is always a popular discussion.

Thanks, for the joy of seeing so may Amazons!

A true reminder that: Amazon's Rule!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Cool beans indeed! :) A whole flock of gabby,chatty..NOISY Amazons :rolleyes:
A nice set up btw...Looks like you have spacious grounds..luckily for your neighbors lol

Jim

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Amazons galore! Really love seeing all these guys together:)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Nice photos, beautiful flock of Amazons and so obvious they are enjoying themselves.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Cool beans. What is the netting made of?

The outside is PVC coated metal and the top has a shade cloth also on it.

Cool beans indeed! :) A whole flock of gabby,chatty..NOISY Amazons :rolleyes:
A nice set up btw...Looks like you have spacious grounds..luckily for your neighbors lol

This is the shelter grounds they have a decent amount of acres. The tree line surrounding the property helps keep the noise in too!

Amazons galore! Really love seeing all these guys together:)

We thought it might implode eventually but they all got along for hours:eek:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Amazons, to my understanding, are pretty tolerant of their own kind for the most part. Big time flock birds. Besides Kelly, are all those other zons looking for homes? Those are some nice looking blue fronts. The BFA to left looks especially Dino-like in the first pic:p I am glad Kiwi doesn't vocalize in the ways those BFAs do!

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Several years ago,my dear friend Mariann,and her beautiful DYH Shainna,lived with Amy,Smokerz,and I.
Shainna was a proven "she',having laid quite a few eggs in her almost 40 years. Amy's sex wasn't known at that time.
Both Shainna and Amy's houses were pretty close together. Amy trying to get to Beebs house is NOTHING in comparison to how determined she was to get to Shainna's :eek:
Mariann provided boxes for Shainna to climb in,and tear apart.
It got to the point where Shainna was making "odd" trills and physical movements,and Amy became obnoxious,combative,and unpredictable!
Soon...Shainna dropped another egg :52:

Shainna's birdonality changed also...from a real sweety to aggressive...not much longer,Mariann found her own place and she and Shainna moved out.
Later on,Mariann told me she made the move because of the birds..both Shainna and Amy were hormonal..I never saw Amy so bad,and haven't ever since. In a few short weeks,both fids were back to their normal lovey selfs.
Now knowing Amy is really AMOS...explains ALOT! :52::rolleyes:

Jim

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Amazons, to my understanding, are pretty tolerant of their own kind for the most part. Big time flock birds. Besides Kelly, are all those other zons looking for homes? Those are some nice looking blue fronts. The BFA to left looks especially Dino-like in the first pic:p I am glad Kiwi doesn't vocalize in the ways those BFAs do!

Yellow napes are one of the least social birds when it comes to flock and other species. They tend to only socialize with their mate and possibly their recent babies. You can find them in groups at feeding sites or places to roost but they don't talk much to each other. Pairs actually have their own calls. You can see that from the yellow napes in the video and pictures. They aren't interacting at all with the others. Not sure about wild behavior on the others. I'm guessing this is one of the reasons we get so many yellow napes at the shelter.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
And yep everyone is available for adoption. They are all actually pretty good behavior wise and all are males.

Kizzy

Jul 7, 2017
Lake Mathews, CA
Parrots
Rescue Mexican Red Headed Amazon, 10 yr old African Grey Congo, 26 yr old Blue and Gold Macaw
Hi! I am new to this forum and saw that you seem to have quite a bit of experience with raising Amazons. I am a veterinary technician that works at an emergency hospital dealing only with dogs and cats. A client dropped off a baby Mexican Red Headed Amazon she found (they are wild in the area I work) that a local bird store felt was approximately 5 weeks old. He had all feathers except for on the chest and some of the back and nape. I took the bird and have been hand feeding exact formula. He should be about 8 weeks now and is fully feathered. (Does that age seem right to you?) I have been offering exact conversion pellets, rainbow pellets, cheerios, and mixed, warm veggies. At first, he would eats a tiny bit of the cheerios but now is only eating the formula I give twice per day. The weight has dropped from originally at 320g to 260g. I feed about 40-50ml per feeding which is equivalent to 2 tablespoons of the exact formula in dry form mixed with 4 tablespoons of warm water. Do you have any advise for me? Thank you very much in advance!:green1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts