amazon or galah

lefty13

Aug 5, 2014
Now my next question is which do you prefer? I've always wanted a galah but recently I have interest in a amazon. If I get an amazon I would be able to get one sometimes this month but if I wanted a galah I would have to wait until next breeding season. Anyone who has both can you give me an idea of which you like better? If you had to pick one which one wold you rather have and a reason why. I know people have their own opinion so I want opinion from everyone. They will be a lifelong companion so I need help making my suggestion I don't want any regrets. Should I go with my dream bird and wait until next breeding season or I should go for a parrot that I just recently fell in love with and get one this month? Both will be young birds. If I can have it my way I would get both but right now I am only limited to one. I would like the pros and cons for both species.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
You're talking apples and oranges. I'd visit both and see which you prefer. Those are two very different types of birds.

OP
L

lefty13

Aug 5, 2014
I don't have the opportunity to visit a galah because I don't even think anyone even have one in mn maybe just a few but not much. I've seen many amazon but never liked them because most who had them had trouble with them that's why I never consider amazon until recently. I've just been watching videos of both birds and basing my likes on those videos. I know a bird acts accordingly to the way you raise it and train it so I know there's no guarantee.

Starwing

Jul 17, 2014
The Netherlands
Parrots
Kobus the Blue Fronted Amazon
I don't have the opportunity to visit a galah because I don't even think anyone even have one in mn maybe just a few but not much. I've seen many amazon but never liked them because most who had them had trouble with them that's why I never consider amazon until recently. I've just been watching videos of both birds and basing my likes on those videos. I know a bird acts accordingly to the way you raise it and train it so I know there's no guarantee.

I have had a :green: (my dads) for about 10 years until it died of semi-old age,
and I have a 5yo :green: now, but a parrot, any parrot, is a real commitment,
and usually people who buy a parrot in an impulse come to regret it when
they find out they take up a lot of time and energy after all.

I have not had the pleasure to see a pet galah, but seeing as all parrots
are essentially highly intelligent and emotional creatures, a lot of the same
problems that you probably saw among your amazone-owning friends could
very well be manifesting.

Amazon parrots tend to be loud, but on the other hand seem to be quite
capable of amusing themselves, while cockatoo's are sometimes regarded
as somewhat more attentioncraving and quickly to feel lonely.

Other than that, I guess it's personal preference.
Good luck nevertheless, and make sure to keep us posted!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I currently have a galah, and previously had an amazon (he passed away)....like Karen said, you're comparing apples and oranges, and even then the various different species of amazons all have their own quirks. It really depends on what you're looking for in a companion.

Amazons have a tendency to have Dr Jekyll and Hyde attitudes; they're easily excitable which can lead to displacement biting. They can be loud; Jackie could be heard 100 ft down the driveway with windows and doors CLOSED. But! They are very fun, clownish, and some specialize in singing opera. It all depends on the species and then the individual as well. Despite their bad rap they seem to have, they are very awesome birds and I hope to have another zon in my flock sometime in the future.

As for my galah....comparing her to my zon is like summer and winter. Granted she is still a juvenile at 18 months old, but she is cuddly, playful, silly, generally quiet but can be loud at times (when she's hanging upside down like a crazy bat-bird and screeching to get in touch with her inner galah). She is definitely like having a toddler in the house....very mischievous- wants everything I have no matter what it is. She has snuggle sessions throughout the day, so she can get her snuggle fix....I would say cockatoos are much more emotional than amazons. It's VERY important that they be taught to self-entertain and that they don't need to rely on others for their entertainment, otherwise you'll end up with a "Velcro bird" which can lead to even more problems.

With that being said, Galahs have a tendency to be more "emotionally stable" than the white 'toos, but they still can develop phobias.

Here are some of my previous threads about chili

http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatoos/45389-let-s-play-52-card-pick-up.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatoos/44597-chili-being-silly-usual-lol.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatoos/44300-chili-dancing-happy.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatoos/43251-snuggle-monster-pics.html

Most Reactions

Latest posts