Amazon parrot is biting/itching and twitching her feet a lot.

Zed122

Jan 17, 2022
Parrots
Blue fronted Amazon
Hello, I’m in holiday at the moment and my parrot is staying at my cousins house. She’s been fine for the last few weeks however recently she has been chewing her feet a lot and itching her feathers. She’s also eating less and is less energetic than normal. When she’s sitting on her feet every few seconds she will lift that foot in the air for a second and then do the same with the other foot. She’s around 2.5yrs old and is a blue fronted Amazon. I’ve attached a video of what she’s been doing and she’s also doing it in her sleep. Does anyone know what’s going on? Thanks

Attachments

• 69ff6335-5cb4-4ec8-84da-0010450d51cd.mp4
    8.8 MB

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
How much time is she spending on the square cage bars? Likely far more than she should.

Corner cages are not a good choice as they vastly limit interior space for large diameter, long, natural perches that she would be much happier with.

The square bars should only be used rarely and for transfer from one area to another, not long term use. Many owners will add a perch over the bars.

Go to the Amazon Forum and open the Thread near the top titled something like I Love Amazons -... Look for a segment tilted: Getting to the foot of the problem!

Serious recommendation; Upgrade to a larger traditional rectangle cage and obtain several large diameter natural perches.

Next time you take her to her Avian Vet, have them 'trim' her nails.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
too much time on square bars or dowel perches can cause foot problems. Make sure she has a variety of different size and grip perches to use everyday and sleep on..

As she is also doing it in her sleep it could be a nerve issue and related to “toe tapping“ which can affect any species, not just eclectus. Most People seem to think this is often diet related. Has her diet changed ? Fruit not being washed. I found my boy does this to plants in the brassica family. Which is hard in the UK as most supermarket plants here are from Northern hemisphere brassica. so I often have to source from a different shop. it could be a good idea also weigh her regularly.

re the itching, it again could be an irritant in the food,or environment(air fresheners are toxic including the plug ins, deodorant, cigarettes) or a dry environment/high central heating etc, try to bathe or spray.. her you could also give her a drop of organic coconut oil in her food, that’s easily found In a supermarket: some one else said this worked for them. There’s lots of things that could cause itching.

The eating less could be because you’re not there, so a sign of stress,
i hope you can get it solved when you get back.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts