Amazons Bonding to One Person

outdoors1987

Feb 24, 2012
Parrots
Non at the moment...but have experience owning and caring for a cockatiel, CAG, and male and female Eclectus
I know parrots will usually bond strongly to one person. Perhaps Amazons even more so, I'm not sure. What I wanted to discuss was Amazon owners and their experiences with their birds liking someone else, even though you may be their primary caretaker. Does it happen often? Is is a lifelong thing or more of an adolescent switching that goes back and forth? Do you think it is more or less common in Zons? What about those acquired as weaned babies? Do you believe certain subspecies are more prone to this? Is there a propensity for female Zons to bond more with male humans and vice versa? Have you ever gotten a young Zon, just to have it love your spouse more? Just some ideas to get the discussion ball rolling!

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Wish i had more time,have to drive out to AZ.Read some of the topics here and in the social section under "community" that's called "Bonding with Amazons".Yes they'll bond to a person but they usually accept other people except during breeding season. That's the short answer.I have a longtome pet YNA that anyone in my family can handle, at ant time, and she enjoys playing with them all.I don't think she has bit anyone in maybe 15+yrs.,And the last time was because of a bird fight.Other than that i can't remember her biting anyone in the last 30 or so years.I'll write more about bonding with your amazon but my motto is "there's nothing like a well socialized amazon". Expose your bird to many people and situations as possible as early in life as possible. It's easier with a tame baby but older rehomes can adapt also.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I know my vet thinks they do, and they are not her favorite patients because of that. I do need to expose Pete to more people because I suspect he wants to love only me. He's been getting very jealous lately when I am playing with one of the other birds.

He did get pretty chummy with one of the vet assistants though, so that's a start.

OP
outdoors1987

outdoors1987

Feb 24, 2012
Parrots
Non at the moment...but have experience owning and caring for a cockatiel, CAG, and male and female Eclectus
I know my vet thinks they do, and they are not her favorite patients because of that. I do need to expose Pete to more people because I suspect he wants to love only me. He's been getting very jealous lately when I am playing with one of the other birds.

He did get pretty chummy with one of the vet assistants though, so that's a start.

Roxynoodle, I was hoping you would reply. I remember seeing in a former post of yours that your YC's former owner thought that it was a "man only" bird and you were saying that you were going to have to see. It sounds like he adores you though! :)

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
Thats nice to know Roxy.Well I cant complain, so far Paco has been really nice to me for the most part..Still prefers men, especially my son but its not like he's out to get me or anything.He even took a treat from my hand for the first time today..
I think he was very well socialized too.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I am a man who has taken in a fair amount of "bonded to women" birds. I've only had 1 that refused to be my friend. But, she was an older Quaker that was raised by women only, and had no exposure to men, ever. Otherwise, the others came around. Some sooner than others. I know you're looking for answers about Zons, but, this is a general parrot behavior. And can probably be overcome by the usual "patience, persistence, and consistency" in any birds.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Pete's former owner did have a very high voice for a man. Pete usually talks in a very high voice as well. So maybe with Pete it's more about voice than gender? He did say, "Hi" to my uncle though. But, when that vet assistant offered her arm to him, he climbed on and snuggled against her chest like he does to me, and she was a woman. I admit she does kind of resemble me. But, in general when visitors are here, he does come near the front of the cage to watch and listen, but if they come near him he usually displays.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I have had Codie my YC Zon since she was 11 weeks old... she is now 22 weeks... She has bonded with me in a very big way!! She will go to my other half, but growls at him all the time, although she does not bite him!! but you can just tell she is very aggitated around him! I personally can do anything with her at all :D The best thing to do is make sure all members of the family interact with your Zon if you decide to get one!! Also I would recommend getting one from a Young Age, especially if you have had no experience with an Amazon .... Having said all that, Amazons are great Birds to have, they are comical and Codie is starting to speak very well.. I love her to bits... she is my Baby lol

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
If you have a family, then yes, it might be best to get a baby, and socialize it to as many people as possible. Or find an older one that has had those experiences. Pete is about 29, so I'm not sure if I can socialize him more or not. It doesn't help that I'm single and don't have a lot of visitors. When it's warmer I'm going to start taking him to the park and other places.

I also did not want a baby bird if I could find an older one that needed a new home due to my age. And with no children I have no one to leave them to. If they are going to outlive me, I'm hoping I know in advance and can find them good, new homes. If not, I have a rescue in mind I would like them to go to. It also has a sanctuary and they will keep the birds there if you want them to. Mine may all be quite old when that decision needs to be made and may not easily find new homes.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, Petey made a play for the mail lady today, lol! I was pretty surprised as she kind of looks like a witch. Now, mind you, she is a very nice lady, but she has long, straggly hair and little glasses that are always sliding down her nose, and she's kind of up there in years. But, he took one look at her and started laughing and yelling, "I love you!" Then he watched her through the window and continued yelling to her and laughing.

She does happen to have a bird, a Quaker. So maybe he could tell she is a bird person.

But, that does make another woman that he likes. So interesting that his previous owner thought he hated women and owned him for 28 years.

OP
outdoors1987

outdoors1987

Feb 24, 2012
Parrots
Lol that hilarious! Maybe I should tell my mom, a mail carrier. Haha! It is interesting, but you are obviously the best thing thats ever happened to him, and he knows it!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think that is the first time he's gotten a good look at her. Usually I know she is here because of Rowdy alarm calling, but today I was in the bathroom when she started knocking on the door. If you get a package, she will bring it to your door for you along with your other mail that day. But, normally I see her and go outside to meet her.

nikkiscriv

Oct 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Yoshi - Blue Front Amazon, Ozzy - Illiger's Macaw
We bought Yoshi, a Blue Front Amazon, when he was 4 and 1/2 months old from a breeder back in October. Immediately we could tell he seemed to prefer my husband over me, and after following up with his breeder we found out that he had been raised by a single male and had never been handled by a female before.

He is still very young and we've only had him for a few months, but already he has really come around. He actually responds better to me because I've spent more time handling and training him, but when it's bed time he still would rather cuddle with my husband.
He steps up for anyone who asks him, but he generally shows more enthusiasm for the guys.

I think the ability for your bird to bond with more than one person depends largely on the amount of time and effort your willing to spend with him. In my experience they also tend to be more comfortable with the gender they've been handled by the most. For this reason I looked only for a female breeder for my Illiger's macaw :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, the mail lady was just here again so I asked her if she noticed Pete hitting on her the other day. So she came in to see him, and he was very excited about it, lol! He did his, see how pretty I am pose and laughed and yelled, "I love you!"

Margarita

Jun 27, 2011
Chicago
Parrots
3 Budgies: Mango, Blues, Plum +2 Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey + 1 WF Amazon: Lucky
About bonding...
I'm the good example. I was so crazy to have Amazon. I re-homed ~3 year old Lucky(WF). Since very first day, he bond with my boyfriend. I'm the one, who sing to Lucky, who change food, clean dishes, give water, etc. Lucky is with us since last summer and it doesn't matter what I do/not do, he prefers my bf.

I don't mind, I love that bird anyway. It's unconditional love. Being a second person in Amazon life is still a lot of fun!

Most Reactions