Ana's Parrots

OP
lplummer52

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
I should have clarified earlier. She is in Northern Virginia. I am in Florida. I used to live in Virginia and have known her for 40 years. She called Ana and told her she's read bad reviews. Ana was incensed and offered to return the money.....which she did. She found a 5 year old male CAG advertised in The Washington Post from an older individual who is moving to a retirement community. She goes to meet the bird today. So this is good news.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Well that's very good news...And I'm glad that "Ana" got her feathers ruffled, but I highly doubt she really did and wasn't acting, because she's been getting "bad reviews" as well as lawsuits in small-claims court for years, lol...She's very well aware that people in PA know all about her and Lily and their operation, which is exactly why she started advertising to people out of state and started their new "We'd rather ship you a bird by flight-cargo than sell one to you locally" advertising campaign. They won't let anyone come and actually see a bird locally, obviously. If I were to call either place and ask to come see a bird, they would meet me at either of their own homes with that specific bird. I have driven past Lily's "warehouse" a few times, and that is exactly what it looks like, a crappy, dirty little factory on the side of a road with no markings, signs, or anything else. It's an assembly-line of tube-feeding...So they are both well aware that people are catching-on to them, but they don't care, because they both make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year shipping parrot out of state...

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I so hope the meeting goes well for your friend today! please let us know, keeping my fingers crossed.

Coco_2019

Mar 26, 2019
Seriously, it's common knowledge among bird owners and breeders in central PA, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, lower NY, etc. that Ana's and Lily's are simply a Broker's running 2 huge bird mills at different locations about an hour or so away from each other. If you have ever seen their ads or looked at their FaceBook pages, they quite literally, not exaggerating, have pretty much ANY species of parrot for sale at ANY time of the year. They import baby birds from all over the US, from breeders who are willing to sell them unweaned so they can make a quick profit and move-on to new clutches and not have to finish hand-feeding them. There "ads" read like a damn online-catalog of parrot species for sale, just look up what you want, click, order, pay, and have it shipped to you within the week by air-freight...

It's not surprising that most of their sales are to people from other states far from the northeast who know nothing about them, except that they are very "active" parrot breeders, that's it. So they sell and ship a ton of birds all over the country every single day...If you read their "reviews" posted on their websites and their FaceBook pages by "satisfied customers", the one thing they all have in common is that they are all from states far away from the northeast and mid-Atlantic states, a lot to CA, OR, WA, NM, UT, CO, TX, etc. These people think they are actually breeding the birds they sell, and they think they must be reputable due to the number of birds they sell....Just like a puppymill...

****What's hilarious is that "Ana" started out on her own as a Broker, tried it, it worked well and she made a fortune, and then the word got out about her practices, so then she took-on a partner, "Lily", who is conveniently located in Hazelton, PA, about an hour or so away from Ana in East Stroudsberg, PA, so it looks like they are two totally different "breeders" or operations. They each have their own websites/FaceBook pages,
their own ads, and one is called "Ana's Parrots" and the other "Lily's Parrots".
However, if you call one of them to inquire about a bird you are seeing on their website, often they will tell you to "call my partner, as that bird is located at her location", it's like they each have a freaking warehouse and are selling car parts or something, lol...It's not funny, but that's how they operate. "Oh, yes, the Congo African Grey babies, let me check...Yes, they are located at my partner's location in Hazelton, please give her a call at this number, she'll be able to help you out...". Seriously, that's the dialogue...How do I know? Because the Avian Rescue that I've been working at for the last 8 years has taken-in so many birds that originally came from Ana's or Lily's that were surrendered because their new owners couldn't afford to pay thousands of dollars in Vet bills to treat the PBFD Polyoma, Psittacosis, etc. that their birds came to them with!!! So we and other Rescues/Shelters and private bird Foster's end-up taking them in and spending our donations and grant money to pay to treat the hundreds of very sick birds that come from them as babies, young adults, and yes, they sell their "breeder's" for mega bucks too...That's right, in what I fell is their most disgusting act, Ana and Lily actually buy older breeder birds from their breeders, after the poor things have spent their entire lives locked in tiny breeding cages, being bred to death,
and are no longer producing; they buy these old, retired breeder birds for nothing from the breeders, literally nothing, and then sell them as "adult parrots" or even as "proven breeders" to the public at costs over full retail for a new hand-raised baby...

They simply "Recycle" birds, babies and adults....Stay away, far, far away...
Hi EllenD
I wish I saw this info before. We bought a beautiful African Grey from Ana and looks like the age is not right and few other issues. How can I contact you direct?

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
This thread hurts my heart. Are there any action groups who are geared to take them, and people like them that exploit and torture birds, down?

What are the obstacles to taking these people down?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hi EllenD
I wish I saw this info before. We bought a beautiful African Grey from Ana and looks like the age is not right and few other issues. How can I contact you direct?

New members don't have PM privileges until 20 posts. You can PM any moderator (names in purple) and we will forward a message to EllenD or any member. You can designate any offline method desired, such as email, phone contact, etc and we'll deliver the response to your PM inbox.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Seriously, it's common knowledge among bird owners and breeders in central PA, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, lower NY, etc. that Ana's and Lily's are simply a Broker's running 2 huge bird mills at different locations about an hour or so away from each other. If you have ever seen their ads or looked at their FaceBook pages, they quite literally, not exaggerating, have pretty much ANY species of parrot for sale at ANY time of the year. They import baby birds from all over the US, from breeders who are willing to sell them unweaned so they can make a quick profit and move-on to new clutches and not have to finish hand-feeding them. There "ads" read like a damn online-catalog of parrot species for sale, just look up what you want, click, order, pay, and have it shipped to you within the week by air-freight...

It's not surprising that most of their sales are to people from other states far from the northeast who know nothing about them, except that they are very "active" parrot breeders, that's it. So they sell and ship a ton of birds all over the country every single day...If you read their "reviews" posted on their websites and their FaceBook pages by "satisfied customers", the one thing they all have in common is that they are all from states far away from the northeast and mid-Atlantic states, a lot to CA, OR, WA, NM, UT, CO, TX, etc. These people think they are actually breeding the birds they sell, and they think they must be reputable due to the number of birds they sell....Just like a puppymill...

****What's hilarious is that "Ana" started out on her own as a Broker, tried it, it worked well and she made a fortune, and then the word got out about her practices, so then she took-on a partner, "Lily", who is conveniently located in Hazelton, PA, about an hour or so away from Ana in East Stroudsberg, PA, so it looks like they are two totally different "breeders" or operations. They each have their own websites/FaceBook pages,
their own ads, and one is called "Ana's Parrots" and the other "Lily's Parrots".
However, if you call one of them to inquire about a bird you are seeing on their website, often they will tell you to "call my partner, as that bird is located at her location", it's like they each have a freaking warehouse and are selling car parts or something, lol...It's not funny, but that's how they operate. "Oh, yes, the Congo African Grey babies, let me check...Yes, they are located at my partner's location in Hazelton, please give her a call at this number, she'll be able to help you out...". Seriously, that's the dialogue...How do I know? Because the Avian Rescue that I've been working at for the last 8 years has taken-in so many birds that originally came from Ana's or Lily's that were surrendered because their new owners couldn't afford to pay thousands of dollars in Vet bills to treat the PBFD Polyoma, Psittacosis, etc. that their birds came to them with!!! So we and other Rescues/Shelters and private bird Foster's end-up taking them in and spending our donations and grant money to pay to treat the hundreds of very sick birds that come from them as babies, young adults, and yes, they sell their "breeder's" for mega bucks too...That's right, in what I fell is their most disgusting act, Ana and Lily actually buy older breeder birds from their breeders, after the poor things have spent their entire lives locked in tiny breeding cages, being bred to death,
and are no longer producing; they buy these old, retired breeder birds for nothing from the breeders, literally nothing, and then sell them as "adult parrots" or even as "proven breeders" to the public at costs over full retail for a new hand-raised baby...

They simply "Recycle" birds, babies and adults....Stay away, far, far away...
Hi EllenD

I'm so sorry, I wish you hadn't have done that, but that's what they do unfortunately, and they aren't going to stop any time soon because they're making a fortune collecting baby birds from wherever they can get them and shipping them all over the country as if they are actual breeders...They are 'Brokers", and bad ones at that...

I guess you can't PM me yet, but if PM Scott below (he's a moderator) with your message, I can PM you back my email address so you can write me directly...Or I guess I could just PM my email address to send to you, lol...I'll do that now...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
This thread hurts my heart. Are there any action groups who are geared to take them, and people like them that exploit and torture birds, down?

They aren't doing anything that is illegal, so there isn't much at all you can do except inform and educate the public...That's why they don't sell many birds locally, because people already know that they aren't breeders, they don't hand-raise any birds at all, and they simply buy-up as many baby parrots as they can from wherever they can, they finish weaning them if need-be (sometimes, sometimes they don't bother as I hear), and then they advertise them on Facebook and all the parrot sale/breeder websites and are now blasting that they will ship them anywhere in the lower 48 states for I think $125 or something similar....And they sell their birds for HUGE profits from what they pay for them, their prices are ridiculous...Even if they were real, ethical, private parrot breeders, their prices for babies are nuts!!

But they are simply "Parrot-Brokers", which means they sell birds that they get from wherever they can and sell them for a huge profit. It's not illegal, and unless you can prove abuse/neglect there isn't much you can do to stop them, as pets/animals/birds are considered "Personal Property" in PA and most other states, just like a used car, a TV, etc. So all that can be done if you buy a bird from them and there are major issues or things aren't as they described, the bird is sick, dies, etc. is to take them to "Small-Claims" Court (just like any property that you pay less than $10,000 for in PA)...It's sad...

4theLoveOfBirds

May 29, 2019
Denver, CO
Parrots
Military Macaw, 2 Blue & Gold Macaws, Blue-throated Macaw, Green-wing Macaw, Elenora Cockatoo, Goffin's Cockatoo, Umbrella Cockatoo, several Cockatiels, Budgies, English Budgies, Lovebirds, Conures &
Can anyone help me expose Ana here in CO. There are a few stores that buy from her and swear she is "great" People in Colorado need to be told the truth. Thank you

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
And sadly, I have never personally heard of parrots being siezed for neglect. Not saying it doesn't happen, but for whatever reason it seems like animal cops(whatever title you like) *never* sieze abused birds unless they are fighting roosters or emus/ostriches/blatently and obviously illegal birds like IDK, a bald eagle or something. As a kid I saw plenty of those animal cop tv shows and even though it would be a horrible neglect/abuse/hoarding situation and they would sieze 300 dogs, 750 cats, 3 horses and an ornery emu or 2, any "caged birds" would often be left in those abhorrant conditions. :(

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Can anyone help me expose Ana here in CO. There are a few stores that buy from her and swear she is "great" People in Colorado need to be told the truth. Thank you

Im in colorado too.... not sure what I could do to expose. I know theres a colorado based facebook group.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots

They aren't doing anything that is illegal, so there isn't much at all you can do except inform and educate the public...That's why they don't sell many birds locally, because people already know that they aren't breeders, they don't hand-raise any birds at all, and they simply buy-up as many baby parrots as they can from wherever they can, they finish weaning them if need-be (sometimes, sometimes they don't bother as I hear), and then they advertise them on Facebook and all the parrot sale/breeder websites and are now blasting that they will ship them anywhere in the lower 48 states for I think $125 or something similar....And they sell their birds for HUGE profits from what they pay for them, their prices are ridiculous...Even if they were real, ethical, private parrot breeders, their prices for babies are nuts!!

But they are simply "Parrot-Brokers", which means they sell birds that they get from wherever they can and sell them for a huge profit. It's not illegal, and unless you can prove abuse/neglect there isn't much you can do to stop them, as pets/animals/birds are considered "Personal Property" in PA and most other states, just like a used car, a TV, etc. So all that can be done if you buy a bird from them and there are major issues or things aren't as they described, the bird is sick, dies, etc. is to take them to "Small-Claims" Court (just like any property that you pay less than $10,000 for in PA)...It's sad...

If they are that big of a business, then i can almost guarantee that they are neglecting and hurting birds, and more than likely "brokering" illegal ones.
They can be exposed. There are ways. Whether it's getting in there under whatever pretext and filming, etc.
You can pressure shops not to buy from them.
You can detail these things that are so knowledgeable on craigslist/s and whatever else sites they pop up in. Things can be done.

Last edited:

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
And sadly, I have never personally heard of parrots being siezed for neglect. Not saying it doesn't happen, but for whatever reason it seems like animal cops(whatever title you like) *never* sieze abused birds unless they are fighting roosters or emus/ostriches/blatently and obviously illegal birds like IDK, a bald eagle or something. As a kid I saw plenty of those animal cop tv shows and even though it would be a horrible neglect/abuse/hoarding situation and they would sieze 300 dogs, 750 cats, 3 horses and an ornery emu or 2, any "caged birds" would often be left in those abhorrant conditions. :(

That doesn't make any sense, and I don't believe it is true. A bird is an animal and abuse and neglect apply to them, also. Parrots and primates are well known to have the highest human-like intelligence.

Those TV shows are heavily edited, and I wouldn't put any stock into what you see as a viewer. Also how long ago were they even filmed?
And what's the alternative? To be fatalistic? Pessimistic? How will abused and exploited birds ever get helped out of those situations, that way?:white1:

Most Reactions