Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
I have an Alexandrine is in his 30s who is dangerously anemic. Has anyone’s bird been in a similar situation and how did you help them overcome it? Thank you.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Red meat has the highest amount of both types of iron, parrots can digest it in small amounts. Veggies wise, spinach , Swiss char (something I always put into Salty's chop), lentils all have high iron content. What does your avian vet recommend?

OP
ShellyL

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
Red meat has the highest amount of both types of iron, parrots can digest it in small amounts. Veggies wise, spinach , Swiss char (something I always put into Salty's chop), lentils all have high iron content. What does your avian vet recommend?
Thank you for replying. My avian vet and I discussed handfeeding him formula, but he is eating just fine on his own. He is ill with a staph infection. He is currently on an antibiotic as well as Metacam and topical silvadeen. Things are not good. If anyone has personal experience with an anemic parrot, I would so appreciate your insight.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I can appreciate that, I had a nasty staph infection when i broke my leg almost completely off. Prayers for your lil one coming !

OP
ShellyL

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
I can appreciate that, I had a nasty staph infection when i broke my leg almost completely off. Prayers for your lil one coming !
Thanks! Yikes. My Alexandrine’s wound is also in his leg. I’m glad you beat the infection… praying my little guy will too!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
It was so bad that for two weeks, they would open the leg up, stuff antibiotic beads into it, close it and let me rest for 1 day, then start all over again. I felt like a used rag by the end. It did work but man...

Keep him nice and warm, lots of water and follow the med schedule to the letter.

Most Reactions

Latest posts