Inverness, FL
Parrots
2 Yellow Collared Macaws-
Liberty and Faith
Blue Crown Conure -Charlie
Parrotlet -Willow
Peach Front Conure -Honor
Senegal-Patriot
Ok...I feel like I already know the answer to this question but for my peace of mind I am asking the EXPERTS!!! My family and I went camping in Hershey, PA over the memorial weekend. I took the girls to my breeder to board them while we were out of town. We dropped them off on Friday evening and couldn't pick them up until last night (the breeder was closed Monday for the holiday). When they came home last night they seemed so happy to see me....today...Faith didn't want to come out of her cage at first. Once I got her out she was fine, gave me kisses and talked to me. Now that they are out on their java tree neither girl wants’ me to pick them up. They keep acting like they are going to bite me. :( Liberty hasn't acted like this since shortly after we brought her home when she was just a baby. She ALWAYS put her foot up for me to pick her up when I came near her. Now she doesn't want me to pick her up. Is this just a temporary temper-tantrum because we boarded them or are they going to be eternally mad at me? Can we never go on vacation again because it upsets the girls so much...?

This absolutely breaks my heart...any advice is greatly appreciated!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I would say temporary, time for you to spoil them a little with treats and make amends.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
In my instance it was always temporary, lasting no longer than a couple of days. :) Niko is always particularly upset when I've been gone a few days. I really have to watch it, because he tries to bite to let me know that he is NOT happy with me. Sam, my DYH, is REALLY grumpy and literally turns his backside towards me when we return from a trip.

Give them some extra treats, and I'm sure they'll be back to normal in no time at all. :)

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
We go camping and have taken our macaw with us so we don't have to find a sitter or a place to have him boarded. I admit we have an RV so it's a bit easier than having a tent.

Last October our macaw went with us and my husband put Merlin into a converted dog crate and then in the truck. Ever since the trip, Merlin has been aggressive towards my husband. Not sure what happened because my husband was always Merlin's favorite person. Merlin is just now coming around.

We are going camping again soon, but with two birds this time. It will be an interesting trip because we take a German Shepherd too. lol.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
My girl, Jake, would walk to the backside of her perch, to punish me for leaving her. Nowdays she gets over it much quicker and doesn't "punish" me long. It's temporary.

Most Reactions

Latest posts