TiredOldMan

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Thank you all.

I am trying to ascertain her age before her Dr. appointment on Tuesday morning(earliest I could get and she won't be seeing Gracie's doctor as he is on vacation same practice).

Her band as CAV TX (the TX is sideways) and later the number 8. The inside of the band is yellow. I figure the band is aluminum and the anodizing as worn off the outside.

I have been searching most of the day and have found nothing. I know that she was hatched in Texas but that is all. Maybe the 8 means 2008? If so she is most likely a he because the eyes are black as coal.

ANY info anyone can provide would be most appreciated.:)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wish I knew more about banding or had access to a definitive source! A much older vet will show signs of arthritic feet, something a skilled vet will discern.

Coal-black eyes is an excellent indicator of maleness in cockatoos!

Hope the visit goes well with no outstanding issues!!

OP
TiredOldMan

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
Anna had her vet visit this morning. Will have to wait for test results but everything sounded and looked good.

She was voted the clinics best behaved parrot patient. At one time we had six vets, vet techs, and vet school interns in that little bitty room. Then they took her back to trim nails and draw blood. I didn't think they would ever bring her back. I could hear them back there fussing over and loving on her for a looong time.

Of course she just hated all the attention:D

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I'm overjoyed to hear she did well at the vet. Hoping her test results come back good. Keep up the good work!!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
It's amazing what a sweetheart she is, and how much she just needed love...

I'm glad her vet visit went well and that she is well-socialized, that's awesome! I wish I knew more about leg-bands, I would assume the "8" means the year as well, because what else would it indicate if it's the only number on the band...That would make Anna around 10 years old, which doesn't seem out of line...

And I have always been under the impression that Cockatoos with very black eyes were usually males too...there are always exceptions of course, but Anna could very well be Andy...NO EGG-LAYING ISSUES! YAY!

OP
TiredOldMan

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
It's amazing what a sweetheart she is, and how much she just needed love...

I'm glad her vet visit went well and that she is well-socialized, that's awesome! I wish I knew more about leg-bands, I would assume the "8" means the year as well, because what else would it indicate if it's the only number on the band...That would make Anna around 10 years old, which doesn't seem out of line...

And I have always been under the impression that Cockatoos with very black eyes were usually males too...there are always exceptions of course, but Anna could very well be Andy...NO EGG-LAYING ISSUES! YAY!

The vet said she figured Anna was 10-15 years old and agrees with you that the 8 is most likely the birth year. The Doc also agreed about the eyes. We should know in a few days. As long as they were drawing blood I had them do DNA sexing.

I'm thinking if she is a he that Anakin would be nice and not too different from Anna.

Of course I'm always open for suggestions!:)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Major Tom...I'm happy to hear things went pretty well for Ms Anna :D It sounds to me that you have a real sweet heart there. Of course more pictures would be more than welcome!
Did you take any while at her doctors?

Amy and Beebers have an appointment next Wednesday for their annual wellness check and birdicure. Amy has been seeing her CAV for nearly thirty years and has no issue with anyone there. She actually seems to like the attention lol.

On one of her last check-ups her CAV wanted to do blood work and I figured as long as they have to poke the poor girl with a needle,might as well do a DNA too ( I just "assumed" Amy was a "she" but after years and years I started to have my doubts :rolleyes:)

Imagine MY :eek: when they called a few days later and told me Amy was really AMOS! That doesn't matter to me. I still call "him" Amy and refer to "him" as a "her" and it doesn't seem to bother Amy either lol. I've been living with a transgender all these years.

Whatever "Anna" is,she is lucky you found her :D

Jim

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
Birds aren't fussed about their names. LOL My starling chose the name Ringo when I offered a selection and turned out to be a girl. It was an adjustment for me to learn to say "she" and "her," but it was too late to change the name, even if she'd agreed to it (and she was VERY adamant about being called Ringo, so I doubt she would have agreed anyway).

I like "Anakin" and Anna will no doubt adjust to that change since it's so similar. Or just keep "Anna."

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I tracked the Rb's band by canvassing bird clubs in the area of origin... maybe things are more automated and net-savvy these days.

I'm gonna love Anna's (Andy's?) thread(s) forever.

OP
TiredOldMan

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
I tracked the Rb's band by canvassing bird clubs in the area of origin... maybe things are more automated and net-savvy these days.

I'm gonna love Anna's (Andy's?) thread(s) forever.

Thanks Gail that's a great idea going low tech. Do it old school. :)

OP
TiredOldMan

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
Okay finally got results from the Doc.

First off there were some minor blips on the tests but she said not to worry.
She said she expected this given the stress and diet changes HE has been through and is going through.

Yep you read it right, I was correct for once. She is a he and his "new" name is Anaken.

Other then eating he is doing well. The eating will come as he settles in more.

He let me put an Aviator harness on with little fuss. Took him outside on it two days in a row. The one I have is a little snug around the neck. No problem getting it on but real problems getting it off. I have a larger one on order.

Here are a few pics or at least I'm going to try.:confused:

Last edited:
OP
TiredOldMan

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
Let me try again.:confused:

cKx8k8c.jpg

1xQ2CGt.jpg

6X3tWK7.jpg

LOOK old dog......new trick!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Glad to hear Anakin (!!!) is doing well and enjoyed being outside on the harness. Great pics. What a gem you truly are. Thanks again for your heart of gold.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Awe!!! LOOK AT HIM!!! WHAT A CUTIE!!!

He seems like he's a total sweetheart, I'm jealous now, lol!!! So glad this worked out this way, for both him and you!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
This whole story is filling my heart with such joy!
It's the kind of thing that keeps me coming back here...
You are just the best, Major Tom!*

*Elsewhere, this nickname came about, based on his screen name initials, and, oh, I don't know what else, but he's now very affectionately "Major Tom" to me!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
He looks so handsome! Kinda sad to see he ended up being male since my name is also Anna x'D

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
He looks so handsome! Kinda sad to see he ended up being male since my name is also Anna x'D

Maybe we can start calling you Anakin for short. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Anakin seems to be doing phenomenally well under your care! And already harness trained?!? Most impressive, good sir!

Most Reactions

Latest posts