Another, Another Bird Question....

michael_cb_125

May 21, 2012
Hello everyone!

I have an amazing 9 year old SI Eclectus who is way past bonded with me. I have never had or seen a bird as sweet as this little girl. She goes everywhere with me and has never shown the slightest bit of aggression. I can hold her any way, and even throw her up and catch her (without her opening her wings), my dog does not even trust me this much. She was in good feather when I got her, I have had her for the last year. Now her plumage is perfect and I have not seen a prettier ekkie. She has put on some weight, and just looks stunning. Before I got her she would not even let anyone hold her and gave her previous owner horrible scars, she did live with a male Ekkie, but would not breed and never showed any signs. According to her previous owner she has not laid an egg in her whole nine years. But now I am 100% certain that she is wanting to breed as she makes a nest, I have gave in to her demands and given her a nesting box, and she spends about 6 hours of the day in there. She does the scratching and everything. But the funny part is that I can pull her out of the box, I can move the box, and she travels with me in it. Plus, she wants me to "mount" her all the time (it's kinda weird really.... she puts her head down and tail up and quivers and says I love you.).

So my question. Would getting my girlfriend a parrot disrupt mine and Scarlet's bond? If I attempted to get another parrot would a Young Male Ekkie be a good Idea, and then try to breed?

As attached as she is to me I really do feel as though she could be a breeding bird that still craves human affection. Any thoughts on this.

Thanks Michael and Scarlett

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
You might want to check out my recent thread "Getting a second eclectus". If you have no issue with breeding, and even have a nesting bird that remains your companion, then I don't see an issue with getting a second bird. It should not disrupt your bond with Scarlett, if that bond is strong enough, and as long as you don't start neglecting her because of the new bird. But a lot of people do report jealousy, and I have no idea about that. My female does not show any signs of jealousy with the new male I got. She is still the same with me.

Jollyjess80

Oct 23, 2012
Chico, CA
Parrots
Beeker: SI Eclectus,
Kianna: Grn Cheeked Conure
Mine makes the funniest noise when he stretches his wing like that! Love these pics!

Most Reactions