Another question regarding pin feathers

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
I looked a bit closer at Sammy's head today, and was slightly surprised. His entire head is pin feathers! They're all mostly red feathers, which doesn't make it too easy. After his shower and a short training session, I got to work. For lack of better word, HE LOVED IT!!!! But I'm having trouble. Some of the feathers are... hard to tell. If it's not ready, he lets me know. Quick. This just makes me shakey and nervous, because I don't want to hurt him, and the process gets difficult. I really want to help him out with those itchy itchy pinnies!

So I have a question. Will his feathers open when they're ready on their own? Or do I need to open the ones on his head? I don't touch his back because he can reach those ones, but the sheer amount of pinnies on his head and neck are simply astonishing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I'm gonna go ahead and assume they'll open when they're ready. Lincoln recently went through a molt cycle and he doesn't like his head being touched but the pin feathers have gone away on their own.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm gonna go ahead and assume they'll open when they're ready. Lincoln recently went through a molt cycle and he doesn't like his head being touched but the pin feathers have gone away on their own.

Yes, they will fully break apart without either his or your involvement! That stated, the itch factor is very high and they have a high interest in reducing those itches to a minimum ASAP! By being part of the process, we Humans can build a trust /bond level with our Companion Parrots. This 'can' develop to a point, that they will seek you out to help with their feathers.

Knowing When Is Important!
As Humans, we are very fortunate that we have extensive 'feeling' in the tips of our fingers. We can quickly tell if the covering is soft, hard or beginning to break apart and crumble. That is the best point for helping with the removal of the covering. Prior to that point, it becomes combination of experience and 'Art' in determining what can be and what cannot be removed.

This process also improves the communication between you and your Parrot as 'YOU' quickly pick-up on what is Okay and what is Not with a combination of feel and comments being made by your Parrot!

As part of the huge Thread near the Amazon Forum (highlighted in light blue) Titled: I Love Amazons - .... is a Segment that goes into more detail regarding Bonding with your helping with Preening! Check it out!

Get in there and Preen! It would go along way to you developing a Stronger Bond with your Parrot!

Last edited:
OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Ah, good! So I am able to leave them be. But me and him really enjoy the experience, i am highly focused on him and he's so peaceful and in a mode of bliss. One more question though, does hurting him by accidentally trying to open an unready pin affect our relationship? It seems to me that he knows I'm learning and just gives me a firm warning, but never bites. Either way I'll be extra careful and help him out the best I can.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I have a pinnie question while we're here. Bumble has a wing feather that hasn't come out of the sheath fully yet. I noticed it several days ago and noticed yesterday it's still there. How long would it normally take her to get that off? Should I be concerned that it's still there? (And who wants to bet that now that I've asked about it, it's gone next time she lets me peek under her wing?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have a pinnie question while we're here. Bumble has a wing feather that hasn't come out of the sheath fully yet. I noticed it several days ago and noticed yesterday it's still there. How long would it normally take her to get that off? Should I be concerned that it's still there? (And who wants to bet that now that I've asked about it, it's gone next time she lets me peek under her wing?)

Hmmm. I'll take that bet!!! :D

Wing feathers just take longer! They are larger and because of their location more likely to break too early and result in a Blood Feather Event! These new feathers are directly being feed from a blood source that if broken can result in your Parrot quickly bleeding-out!

Well that likely got your attention! Point being, we want these Wing feathers to stay within the covering as long as possible to allow it to fully grow and naturally detach from the blood supply. When the detachment occurs, that is when the cover become hard and then begins to fall apart. I rarely provide help with Wind and Tail feathers!

The reality of being a Parrot Owner is the need to have an Emergency First Aid Kit on-hand! The last page of the I Love Amazons - ... Thread in the Amazon Forum goes into great detail as to what a very well stocked Kit should include! At the very least, one should have what is needed to stop bleeding of a 'Blood Feather' and a Toe Nail!

Well, this will likely gather several additional questions! :D

Last edited:
OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots

Clearly I'm not very knowledgeable on pins (I made this post LOL) but I wouldn't worry about it at all. The way I see it is that if it's within reach and it's not opened, it's

1. Not ready yet
Or
2. Not bothering them and will open on its own

But again I'm no expert. Just my thoughts!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I'd just say to be gentle around them. They do open on their own but a nice head rub is soothing. Try bringing him into the bathroom when you have a shower. The warm steamy air will help soften them

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
I think I mentioned in another post that I was elected Mr Preener by Cookie my BFA. Growing my thumbnail and little finger nail out so I had a "beak" to do the job. It was almost a daily ritual. Cookie was very patient with me and let me know with a sharp growl when I touched a tender one... but easily forgave me. Always kept a spray bottle of water handy to lightly mist his head to make the job go easier. The hardest ones are the tiny ones around their eyes.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
don't use your fingernail just rub, like an itch can be tamed with a touch vs. a scratch, just rub gently and the outer coatings will work off and your bird will enjoy it, don't try to scrape them off.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Heck I got pretty good with my "beak" imitation... using my nails with a delicate touch. Hah u can ask my bird!

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Heck I got pretty good with my "beak" imitation... using my nails with a delicate touch. Hah u can ask my bird!
LOL I often use my nails to represent a beak. Sometimes we play this game where I hit my nails on different objects to make sounds and then he would repeat it [emoji14]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
While head-pinnies are difficult to exam, my rule of thumb (no pun intended) is to avoid preening those with significant blood visible internally at the base. Once they are "dry" the tip begins to open and you can help make their day!

If you accidentally cause discomfort, Sammy will let you know, but extremely doubtful it will affect the relationship. I believe they "know" whey you are helping vs harassing and its clear he is bonded to you.

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
While head-pinnies are difficult to exam, my rule of thumb (no pun intended) is to avoid preening those with significant blood visible internally at the base. Once they are "dry" the tip begins to open and you can help make their day!

If you accidentally cause discomfort, Sammy will let you know, but extremely doubtful it will affect the relationship. I believe they "know" whey you are helping vs harassing and its clear he is bonded to you.
Just an update, and thanks again for all your advice! Today he actually requested some preening. Oddly and helpfully enough, he itches in places to signal where I might want to go, but he could just be itching LOL. But I've been cautious and careful and it's paid off. I even let him preen my hair after I do him to let him know we are equals☺[emoji173]

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
There ya go... nothing like a lil mutual preening to increase the bond!!. I kinda miss my daily preen time. But honestly Booger does do a bang up job. Have not seen one pin feather since adding him to the flock!

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
There ya go... nothing like a lil mutual preening to increase the bond!!. I kinda miss my daily preen time. But honestly Booger does do a bang up job. Have not seen one pin feather since adding him to the flock!
WOAH! I can't imagine giving a bird scritches without feeling any of those devilish things haha

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

Hmmm. I'll take that bet!!! :D

Wing feathers just take longer! They are larger and because of their location more likely to break too early and result in a Blood Feather Event! These new feathers are directly being feed from a blood source that if broken can result in your Parrot quickly bleeding-out!

Well that likely got your attention! Point being, we want these Wing feathers to stay within the covering as long as possible to allow it to fully grow and naturally detach from the blood supply. When the detachment occurs, that is when the cover become hard and then begins to fall apart. I rarely provide help with Wind and Tail feathers!

The reality of being a Parrot Owner is the need to have an Emergency First Aid Kit on-hand! The last page of the I Love Amazons - ... Thread in the Amazon Forum goes into great detail as to what a very well stocked Kit should include! At the very least, one should have what is needed to stop bleeding of a 'Blood Feather' and a Toe Nail!

Well, this will likely gather several additional questions! :D

I was hoping you'd answer! And you covered the most important questions- should I worry and should i be doing anything about it. And it sounds like the answer to both of them is no. Thanks so much for your wealth of information, as always.

Most Reactions