Another sleep question

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
Basil (approx 2 year old hopefully male lovebird) is usually covered up by 8 pm (even though we are still up, albeit doing quieter things - tv on low, kids in bed, no crashing dishes or practising piano) and uncovered by 7 am. I am usually home in the evenings so that's when he's out of his cage (and perched on me).

Tonight we are all going out from 430 pm to about 9 pm. I will try to give him lots of attention this afternoon but he will be missing his usual social time with me. Should I cover him up and make bedtime at 430 or let him stay up late with lights and radio on while we are out? Currently it is getting dark by 6 pm and sunrise is around 730 am.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Oh I hated having to do something similar a few weeks back.
IF he is usually ok when it gets dark and since you'll be home just an hour later than his usual bedtime, I say keep him uncovered with TV or radio on and give him some attention for a few minutes when you get home. Since you are giving him extra attention in the afternoon he will probably just nap and eat/play while you are gone.

OP
C

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I know! I feel so guilty about leaving him. Poor lonely birdie. I will take him out for some cuddles when we get home. I'm never sure if he gets sufficient hours of "uninterrupted" sleep. What does that mean? My husband can be loud when he gets home late from playing hockey. Does that disturb Basil? I sometimes leave the house really early in the morning and I'm so careful not to wake the bird or the kids up. I assume he sleeps when we aren't here. He definitely naps in the afternoon when I am home. He's a better napper than my kids were ha ha.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Since this is a once in a blue moon type of thing, it shouldn't be a big deal for him to spend an evening alone. Right before you leave, switch up his toys and give him some extra foraging opportunities to keep him busy while your out. That's what we do when we have to leave Kiwi alone for an evening, and he doesn't seem to mind. I would suggest you leave the cage uncovered and lights on, that way if something spooks him or he gets really bored, he can still see to play and navigate his cage. We have found when we get home later than Kiwi's regular bedtime (9pm), he is already asleep even though he isn't covered and the lights are on. And even if he does get to "stay up late" and doesn't go to bed by himself, as an every once in a while thing, it's no biggie. I think it would be worse to put him to bed hours early and have him fumbling around in a dark cage because he isn't tired than him staying up an extra hour or two and taking a little nap the next day if he needs to.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I think a little change in their routine is good. I think he'll be fine. My zons don't seem to stress if they have to put themselves to bed sometimes. Normally if it's quiet in the house they go to bed if it's dark, i wouldn't leave on more than the normal nite light.

OP
C

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Thanks everyone. Basil did just fine last night. I left the tv on for him to watch the hockey game we were at (I told him to look for us in the crowd!). He came out while the kids were getting ready for bed and "slept in" a little bit this morning (we were all very quiet). He's been happily shredding the Saturday newspapers as I'm trying to read them. Business as usual...

Most Reactions