another teflon question.

fricksmom

Jan 24, 2013
fayetteville, AR
Parrots
green cheek conure "frick" aka Elvis!
ok, so since I got frick i've not planned any baked items other than cookies or cupcakes on non teflon stuff. HOWEVER!! i'm making lasagna and i'm sure the pan has a non stick surface. I've moved frick to the other side of the house behind a door and the oven is at 350.

so my question is this, at what distance is he safe from teflon and how long does it take to dissipate so I can bring him back to the living room next to the kitchen?

thanks.
fricksmom

OP
F

fricksmom

Jan 24, 2013
fayetteville, AR
Parrots
green cheek conure "frick" aka Elvis!
also, what's the best place to get a flight suit for a gcc? i know he needs a jr small?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If you have central heat & air, no place in the house is safe for birds.....the heating system will disperse the toxic offgassing throughout the house.....

As to when the air would be safe.....probably after at least 3 complete air changes.....that's exchanging outside air for the inside air, 3 complete times.....

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
I've no idea about how far away or how long. I got rid of all my teflon and only use something like a waffle iron in the detached garage :eek:

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
Teflon usually only becomes toxic to birds if it is overheated/its scratched, that is not too great a temperature that there would be danger from it, leave him elsewhere overnight, leave the windows open then all should be good. But you must do as your conscience dictates! I'm extremely paranoid about toxic fumes around my birds

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
When discussing toxic coatings dangerous to birds, you really need to discuss them as non-stick coatings or non-stick surfaces, because teflon is a product trade name that has been licensed for use under different trade names. So as to know the proper dangers in the non-stick market, learning the relevant chemicals and their associated acronyms (i.e., Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) & Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)). The products that have been licensed under the multitude of names containing PTFEs and/or PFOAs number in the hundreds, including Autograph, Clad, CuFlon, Ballarini, Duracote, Excalibur, Farberware, Fluron, Greblon, Hostaplon, Maxalon 2000, Perma-Cote, Princess, Resista, Revere Ware, Risoli, Sliver Slick, Silverstone, Swiss Diamond, Tefal, T-Fal, Wear-Ever and Xylon, among others.

While those are a few of the various trade names wearing the deadly coatings, here are some of the appliances with non-stick coatings and/or working parts: automatic coffee makers, bread makers, broiler pans, cake pans, coffee warmers, cookie sheets, countertop grills, cupcake pans, curling irons, deep fryers, drip pans under stove eyes, electric skillets, fans, flat irons, grates above gas stove burners, grates on gas space heaters, heaters, hot plates, infrared light bulbs, ironing board covers, liners for ovens, pie pans, pizza pans, popcorn poppers, regular light bulbs, roasting pans, sandwich makers, slow cookers, toasters, tortilla presses, various cooking utensils, waffle irons, woks.

And though it was originally thought that the dangers were limited to overheated items, above 500 degrees Fahrenheit, recent studies are finding offgassing combinations beginning in the 350 degree Fahrenheit range & upwards.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Please, if you can, call the manufacturer of your products.

Just because an item is non-stick does not mean that it is dangerous to your pet birds. It's great that you are taking caution, but there are some PTFE (aka Teflon, but Teflon is a brand name - an item could be Teflon-free but still contain PTFE where-as if an item is PTFE-free, it does not contain Teflon or any other nonstick coating with PTFE as an ingredient) free pans that are non-stick and safe.

Do your research and contact the manufacturers. Some may make non-stick pans in PTFE and PTFE-Free versions.

Most Reactions