Any advice on a Double Yellowhead??????

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
There is a person who is semi-local that is having to re-home her 1 year old Male Double Yellowhead. She's looking for $350.00, which isn't a bad re-homing fee. I'm sorely tempted since I'm retired and have plenty of time on my hands. I already own a 1 year old Senegal that I love to death and spoil her rotten. A Double Yellowhead has been on the top of my wishlist for years.

Thanks,
Mike

knarfwhite

Dec 16, 2010
I say go for it if you can commit for the long term. I can't believe all the people that get pets and then look to get rid of them a year later. I was 15 when I got my yellow nape and he is a true family member and couldn't imagine selling him. My bird was very gentle the first couple of years and then became very difficult when he was about seven. There was a period when he screamed a lot and started biting but he has mellowed out over the years. Now he only loves my kids. Do you research and be ready to deal with a bird that will think you're his pet! If you're not timid, do it. It sounds like you'll give him a better home than he has now.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
hey Mike, I vote go for it.

Lesleybird

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Houston
Parrots
Three amazons, Moluccan cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Harlequin macaw.
Hi, I have three amazons, two cockatoos, and a new macaw. The main thing that I can tell you is that there is such a big difference in personalities in the same type of bird. Birds have very different personalities even in the same species. You need to find a double yellow head that when you are around it for a while that you feel a connection. I always say to make sure the bird chooses you. If the bird does not seem to like you from the start then skip on to the next one. Some birds only like women or only men, or whatever.

If you just get a bird because it sounds like a good deal you may go wrong. If an amazon was not hand fed or was not socialized properly you may end up with a mean bitey bird. You don't know if they are telling you the truth about the age of the bird. If it is more than 2 years old and was not talked to a lot it may never be much of a talker. Don't just get this bird without visiting a lot of double yellow head amazons first. Find out why they want to sell the bird. Can they handle the bird in front of you? If they cannot then there is a problem. Also, even good talking parrots may not talk in front of strangers.

These birds become a family member for many years to come so make sure that you choose wisely. Lesley

Most Reactions