Any advice on transitioning a bird from seeds to pellets?

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
Hi, Everyone
Iā€™m transitioning my conure diet from seed to pellets. When I got him he was just eating a seed mix. I know it takes time for birds to get used to pellets. Iā€™ve tried to slowly introduce it by mixing it with his seed mixture. Iā€™ve also tried different pellet brands but Iā€™ve notice he will use his beak and toss the pellet out of his food bowl to get to the seeds. Should I just keep him on a seed mix diet or continue with pellets?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I once went through a VERY exhaustive process trying to get a cockatiel of mine to transition to pellets. It took about 8 weeks of my trying every trick recommended by my vet, the manufacturers of various pellets and everything I could find on the internet but she would just about have preferred to starve than even try them. Finally what actually worked was grinding the pellets to a powder in a mortar and pestle and sprinkling it over her seeds, so that she couldn't avoid ingesting them and she would get a taste for them whenever she ate. Within a few days, and with my gradually leaving larger particles and whole pellets in the mix, she started chowing down on them like she had been eating them her whole life! You'll need to keep a very close eye on your bird, because they sometimes will refuse to eat them and can endanger themselves, but that method worked for me when nothing else did. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ahh yes, using the quick-monkey brain to outwit the slow reptilian one. That does sound like a good subterfuge to get a parrot to eat pellets!

Most Reactions

Latest posts