Any danger with a chicken in the house?

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
Edit = I convinced her the chicken belonged back where it came from with it's friends.

My wife "rescued" a chicken that was wandering around in the street. When I went to find the owners the lady was indifferent about getting it back, they have a dozen and they thought a predator had got this one.

I'm concerned that the chicken might be a health risk for the YNA and 'too even though they won't be in the same room. The furnace does circulate air all through the house.

Last edited:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Well.... I have chickens who jump in my windows to lay eggs. Untile I rearranged things, they would even jump in the bird room window.

That said, these are chickens I have had since they were days old.

There is always "some" risk, but I think it would probably be OK. Try to minimize direct contact, or transmission of chicken droppings into the bird area. What breed of chicken? I can't imagine being indifferent, and I have *way* more than a dozen chickens. Grrrr bad chicken keeper

OP
henry0reilly

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
. What breed of chicken? I can't imagine being indifferent, and I have *way* more than a dozen chickens. Grrrr bad chicken keeper

It's all white so I suspect leghorn but don't know for sure. These folks weren't keeping pets I think they got them for eggs.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Well... are you sure it isn't a meat bird? If so, no amount of "rescuing" can save it.. look up "cornish cross", if your bird is one of these they don't live very long. Heres hoping it is a leghorn, tho. I have one of those in my flock. Friendly bird

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
West Central Louisiana, originally from Portland O
Parrots
2 Budgies
"Southern Belle" a blue female
"Beau Dandy" a green male
Yes, chickens aren't nearly as cute as parrots and the couple of times the ones I had years ago got inside I got beaten with a frying pan by SWMBO for there being chicken poo inside...might not be a danger for you, but I'll never let another yard bird in the house again lol.

Joon

Nov 28, 2016
Lotus Land
Parrots
Two adorable Yellow Nape Amazons and a Military Macaw. Double Yellow Headed Amazon (RIP)
From what I understand the main concern is if there was an outbreak of avian flu all the birds in the quarantine area could be culled, but there are other risks like parrot fever which can be passed from chicken to parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts