Any Idea why his feathers look like this?

Kiwibon

Feb 6, 2016
Southampton, UK
Parrots
Pineapple Conure (Lilly), Crimson Belly conure (Poppy)
EDIT: NEW PICTURE, more recent, since we brought him home. This has happened after 3 days.

untitled_by_kiwibon_deg59uy-pre.jpg

----
I'm bringing him home from an aviery today, and the keeper doesn't know why his wing and tail feathers are curved like that, he's just 8 weeks old. I have no other information yet!!

Would be awesome if anyone knows anything. Thank you!

deg460e-a85365e4-2b4c-48d7-bc5d-c53615e8ee2d.jpg
deg465j-a1b336a2-5a0e-4e92-8a51-8fcf0fe257d5.jpg

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Pretty turquoise green cheek!

It could be from walking on the ground of its cage, or some sort of feather mutation that makes the feather curl sideways/upwards from inbreeding. Do you know the history of this bird or who its parents are?

OP
K

Kiwibon

Feb 6, 2016
Southampton, UK
Parrots
Pineapple Conure (Lilly), Crimson Belly conure (Poppy)
Pretty turquoise green cheek!

It could be from walking on the ground of its cage, or some sort of feather mutation that makes the feather curl sideways/upwards from inbreeding. Do you know the history of this bird or who its parents are?

Hello!! He is very pretty yes!! Aparrently all of the other babies and his parents have had no issues, they said it's the same pair breeding the babies, so I don't think he's inbred. It's the first time they've seen this happen.

We will call the vet tomorrow for advice! It got worse in the last two days, so I'm updating the thread with a new picture. ❤

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
The feather mutation looks much worse than it seemed in the first pictures.

Still sounds to me like inbred parents --just because they have babies doesn't mean they aren't related. My guess is that the parents are brother-sister or VERY closely related, this is what happens when close bred birds mate and have offspring, the babies are all well... messed up sometimes. I doubt its the first time its happening, as it look very prominent in this bird, it looks like it cannot even fly normally since the wins feathers are growing at such odd angles.

I hate to say it but I don't think you should've bought this bird, when birds that are related breed and have babies like this it makes all sorts of mutations and makes it really hard for them to live a normal life. I would give this baby back and go through a new breeder who knows exactly what they're doing and won't sell you a genetically defective bird. You may be able to cut the wings to help it be more comfortable, but it is unlikely it can fly properly.

Last edited:

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Wow, that is really strange. It doesn't look like it's from them being bent by the floor or bars etc. because they don't look tatty or damaged, they just look curled! Also feathers don't tend to deform like this, the shaft down the middle doesn't re-shape, it's fixed, it can bend to some degree and break, but even with moisture heat and pressure it doesn't curly!

My first thought was a feather mutation too. I know there are budgies who are bred because they have these curly feathers so for some birds at least it is genetic.

I would get him to a vet as soon as you can, you might have a very special needs bird on your hands and if it was me I'd want to know ASAP. Alternatively, if he is healthy and happy and lives a full life WITH the ability to fly you could have the beginning of a new mutation on conure on your hands, which is just as important to know ASAP!

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Maybe it a nutritional issue? Maybe more protein in his diet? I know with in people hair that is curl contains less protein than hair that is straight.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Hello I did some googling and this is what I found Curling Feathers the poster’s vet thought the feather curling was due to A nutritional deficiency

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts