Any Ideas for This sticky situation?

MariusJ

Mar 13, 2014
Lephalale South Africa
Parrots
Romeo-GoffinT 99' Kallie-Dusky Lory 12', AJ 96' and Chiko 03' TAG, Aviary of breeder budgies.
Hi All, recently joined the forum.
we have some rescue parrots in our home and recently took in Romeo, our Goffin Cockatoo.
As far as we know we are his 3rd home, the lady we got him from was a pass-over home and have only had him two weeks.
His leg band says he was born in 1999, so he is about 15 years.

He is in utter terreble shape, and I hope we are on the right track. please excuse the long msg, I would just like to give you as much info as possible.

He is a feather mutilator, not plucking but biting off his feathers, his previous home sprayed him with diluted stasoft (starch) to keep him from plucking, which really worstened things in my opinion.

due to the permanent sticky/wet condition he was kept in as well as a very dirty cage the feathers that he does have is brownish instead of white.

He was a total seed junky as well as coffy addict.

He also seems cage bound and has a massive fear of the man of the house. When we went to visit him before he came to us he was adoring me and my girlfriend, but hated the lady's husband, apparently when the husband got drunk and the bird screemed, he would rattle the cage in kind of as screeming war. The second morning he was home with us, he started freaking out on me, bit me then became so scared that he fell to the ground every time I pass the cage.

We took a few steps back, had him to the vet, he seems healthy except for the obvious changes that had to be made.

the vet put him on Colicalm to deal with all the sudden changes and we decided that we where going to leave him be to settle in to the house situation and get used to the routine.

I did try working with him, when the cage is out of sight he submits in a way, but as soon as he sees the cage he freaks out and all is lost.

I did begin just sitting on the floor few feet from his cage doing my work in the evenings or just reading, i also started sitting a few feet from the cage when feeding him , I ignore him totally, if he doesnt come to eat in 5min, i take out the food and try again in 20min. after three tries he submitted and came to eat, this went on for a few days and now he is fine with me feeding him.

He is totally fine with my GF when in the cage, loves beaing scrathed and given anything out of a coffy cup that smells like coffy, that's how we trick him hehe.

It's been about 3months now and we seem to have hit a plato. Although his feathers are coming out and the mutilation has stopped alot. will try and post a picture and you will see all the white primaries surfacing.

even though he prefers seeds we got him on a chop that has veg and fruit in with pellets, porrige and seed mix.

He is on Pre_moult and Multi vits daily in his water.

in the beginning we sprayed him daily with a Aloe and menthol mix we got from the vet. we stopped as soon as he started to seem comfortable in his own skin.

I am almost finished hehe Promise.

He's whole demeanor seems lifeless, sitting in the cage staring straight, shaking alot, we have put a lot of toys in his cage and he has taken to one, doesnt break it just shakes it so the bel rings a little.

if anybody thinks we can do something to help him settle in more or do something to get some more progress please it would be great to hear your ideas.

I am fne if things go very slow, just scared things become stagnant.

will try and post a pic now.

Looking forward to any replies.

OP
M

MariusJ

Mar 13, 2014
Lephalale South Africa
Parrots
Romeo-GoffinT 99' Kallie-Dusky Lory 12', AJ 96' and Chiko 03' TAG, Aviary of breeder budgies.
Hope I did it right

This is romeo.

Also Should we wash him, and with what?

Or just leave him to molt out the dark feathers?

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20140316_162318.jpg
    20140316_162318.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 116

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Excuse my french but Holy Crap!! Stasoft??? Fabric Softener on a bird??!!! The poor thing! :(

I think you've done very well so far. Just keep at it - you will see more changes as time goes by, I'm sure. Have you tried feeding him warm food? Most bird love soft warm food like cooked sweet potato. I found with my amazon that haaaated women when I adopted him, that feeding him warm (not so hot it burns his crop) mashy foodies every night, really helped to bond with him. I fed him through his cage bars using a long plastic spoon (those red icecream spoons from kfc actually). I would feed just a few bites, chatting with him all the time and then put the rest of his dinner in the cage. Very soon he started calling for me to bring his dinner ;)

I would not recommend "washing" him (i.e. Using a soap of some kind). Would daily showers with plain clean water not make a difference? Since he's in a clean cage, he shouldn't pick up more dirt so the showers should clean him. Obviously, don't keep him in the wet state he was before, the poor thing. Shower him early enough so his feathers and skin can dry before bed.

Good luck!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a cute little guy. Obviously you're doing something right, because you can see the happiness in the little guys:) It sounds like you're doing a great job with him thus far. How does he like toys? Does he know how to play (some rescue birds have sadly never been offered toys)? Cockatoos are very busy little birds, and toys give them a great way to provide much needed mental stimulation, fun and gives pluckers/mutilators something to do besides chew on themselves. Offering him small toys through the bars in a great way to build trust so you can work towards getting him out of his cage.

As for bathing, I would consult with the vet given his unique situation being covered in filth and cornstarch (poor guy!) especially since he's on a vet-prescribed treatment for the feather chewing. If the vet gives the ok to wash him, most parrots enjoy being gently misted with a spray bottle. It also encourages healthy preening practices, and with cockatoos especially keeps their dander down. Plus, parrots are clean animals, they don't like being dirty any more than we do. Now once you've gotten him comfortable enough to come out and play, let me tell you, a loved cockatoo is rarely a pristinely white one. Of course, once he's refeathered (which could take several years) he should never ever be that dirty again, but they show dirt from being handled and playing because they are white birds. My dad's goffin is always a little dirty because he gets loved on all the time.

Best of luck with him, and I'm sure he's going to very happy with you! Toos' can be very sweet, loving little birds when they're treated right, though they are mischievous and VERY intelligent. My dad has had his for 39 years, so you have a lot of great years ahead with your little friend.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
First, you deserve such a big pat on the back (or hug if you're the hugging type!! :)...

Thanks for taking this poor baby in...

Do not bath trying to wash out any of the discoloration, I really doubt you're gonna find anything to safely reverse the damage done to those feathers. You might just have to accept having a multi colored goffin for a bit... he'll molt out all those discolored feathers, but do not worry if it takes a year, birds do not typically lose all feathers in a single molt, they lose 1/3 or more, then next round, some of the others and so on. Even in a happy well cared for too you can see which are new feathers. So do not worry about that part of things, time will take care of that for you.

I would try to get Romeo used to having a bath a few times a week. You can start by putting him on the top of the shower curtain when you shower, so he sees its not big deal. There are perches you can get with suction cups that stick to the shower wall. I take my Ivory in with me probably 3 times a week and she gets a shower then hangs out on the perch or gets up on top the curtain. She still is not happy about showers, but I have found this is way less stressful then any other bath. Tho she has taken a liking to being sprayed with a bottle of aloe and water, so go figure!!

As for the cage... we had similar issues when Ivory came home. She hated her cage because she had been cage bound for years. My solution was to make the outside of her cage her playstand / gym area. To this day, she does not have a separate playstand. I have a boing on the front of her cage to one side, a manicure perch with a food bowl on the other side. Different toys on the top and side, as well as a big hanging wood ladder / swing on the side (she did not like it in her cage, but she will climb down the side of the cage with it). I just open her cage door and let her come in and out as she pleases. When she first came home, she would bite (not to draw blood, but a pressure bite that hurt like heck) when it was time to go back to her cage. And we quickly realized she associated being asked to step up with going back to her cage, so we would spend evenings playing pass the bird. She would go around from person to person, she quickly lost the connection. And these days, she loves her cage. Making it into a safe, fun time, she will willingly go into her cage and take a nap. But, Ivory is allowed to come and go as she pleases for most of the time, everyday (obviously when someone is home only).

If you can find a treat that Romeo just loves (Ivory's weaknes is pistachios). Even if its a pretzel or something that is not really the healthiest treat, just something that Romeo can't turn down. Use that for training and bonding time. Kiwi gave some great advice about spoon feeding too. Think almost as bonding with a baby bird, let him associate you with warm yummy food and he will quickly look for you and even call when he wants something yummy :) I would not put the same food into a food bowl while you are doing this, so he thinks of you only for the good stuff. Hopefully that makes sense!!

Toos are capable of amazing love and bonding... when they have been neglected, they just need extra time and patience to learn you are good. You are doing so much right, you definitely are off to a great start. You just need to have patience and give Romeo time. Their natural curiosity about you will also get the best of him.

And with hearing his past with the drunken jerk, try to not get loud even in joking around him and even try to put him in another room when you vacuum. He will have a reaction to noise for quite some time, but again, love and patience will help with this, just do everything you can to not make him think those bad moments are going to happen again.

Best of luck and again, be really proud of yourself for taking in a bird that needed a good home like Romeo. I look forward to you continuing to post and keep us updated on how he is doing!!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you for doing such a wonderful thing for this little bird. Sounds like you are doing everything right. I've never seen a too's feathers that color before but I've also never heard of putting fabric softener on a bird to cure plucking. I agree with the above posts, daily mists or showers with warm water. I would also consult with the vet before I used anything other than water. It may take a while, but his new diet, regular baths and happier circumstances will make such a difference. Be patient with the toys and new foods, keep offering and show him how much you like them. According to the bird's temperament, it could take him a few days or even weeks or months to catch on. Finding a favorite treat or food that he really likes will be helpful. My U2's favorite treat is a small square of wheat toast with crunchy butter, he doesn't get it often but he loves it. Softening pellets in warm water or apple juice is an effective trick too. After his past, it might help him feel comfortable to play soft music or leave the TV on with the volume turned down. Toos are emotional creatures and sometimes it takes a while to build trust but once you do, they will reward you. Good luck with your special boy and please keep us updated. Thanks for sharing his story so far.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Forgot a major thing... duh, brains going...

Include Romeo in meals. At first maybe you sitting next to his cage, offer him something you are eating, veggies, rice, mashed or baked potatoes. Once he is settled and calm enough to be out, bring him to the table. Either a perch stand, back of chair or if you have willing family let him hop around table. Ivory gets her own plate then I make sure I have a pile on my plate she can steal.... birdie flash.. it tastes WAY better when you steal it ;) you are now Romeos flock and flocks eat together!!

Here is my Ivory at dinner.... she was also a rehome with some issues, not that you would know today, shes my shadow and will literally hang from my shoulder to see what I am putting in my mouth. Romeo will be there before you know it. I just posted the other day, anyone remember when I worried about Ivory not acting much like a too.... :)

I really hope you post every few days with updates, would love to hear about the progress your new little flock makes!! We all love happy endings and will support you to help you get there!!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
hmmm looks like Rosie not Ivory but I could be wrong....

Lol now its invisible hmmm

There you go....

Last edited:

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Photo problem tonight.... try again :)

crap... they are same....I give up, you get a vague impression hopefully

Attachments

• 20140313_190204.jpg
    20140313_190204.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 88
  • 2014-03-13 19.02.04.jpg
    2014-03-13 19.02.04.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Sounds like you are doing a lot right and I don't have advice, just encouragement. I have 2 birds that were not even abused, just mentally neglected, and they are just starting to try new things in the last week - I have been working on it since October. So keep up the good work, and don't be discouraged! Sometimes we, and our birds, hit a time in life when we are just needing to take a break from progress and catch our breath :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Photo problem tonight.... try again :)

crap... they are same....I give up, you get a vague impression hopefully

We also let Kiwi eat at the table, though he has to be on his perch (or else he crawls right in the food and especially likes mucking around in messy things like spaghetti:rolleyes:). Eating with their flock is a major part of their natural social interactions, and a great way to show a timid new bird that your family has "accepted" them as a "member of your flock". I agree with Jen, next time you're eating something safe for him to eat, walk right over to his cage and get his attention with that yummy food. Once he's intrigued, offer him a little on a spoon or fork and praise him when he takes it.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I can't think of anything to suggest beyond what you're doing (ie. a magnificent job!!!). This poor little bird has had the most horrible time and it'll be a while yet before he forgets and can move on. One toy that Dom took to very early on was a yoghurt container with a few slits in the sides. I stuffed it with shredded paper and Dom would pull the paper out, strand by strand. It can take time to find the sort of toy a bird will respond to. Dom won't do 'pecking' toys like bells, for example. He'd much rather rip shreds off a cardboard box or bits of plywood.

For treats, you can try sunflower seeds cut in half, or peanuts cut into small bits or peanut butter smeared on your finger or honey (ditto) or something long like millet spray or celery or parsnip greens. My kids will often go out and collect grass heads for the birds and they're a favourite. I think a bird like this one will always respond to quiet time just spent sitting with him. Speak softly, read, sing and offer treats all the time. Slo-oo-wly he'll come round, but it'll be in his time, not yours. Just wait for him. It'll be worth it! :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
WOW ! I got a "Touched Goffin" last year . We have been through many things . I have found the willingness to try different things has worked. The women had begged me to take him . I know im his last home [No one would put up with my "Pearl monster"]. I think what your doing is great . Building his trust is the most important thing. Don't feel bad about his eating . Ive had 4 toos and they can be extremely picky, they throw eveyrthing on the floor. When I feed them I put everthing in one bowl [chopped small] They are eating way more new things then when I got them .Pearl does well when his time out with me is consistent. I think the trick with Toos is they need to learn to be a confident bird. Pearl has a ton of toys . But what got him really playing is newspaper and cardboard boxes.I intertwine the newspaper through the bars on the top and sides and put some on the bottom . Its a mess but worth it . My 3 Toos are busy with this [their shredders] Sing and dance with your guy too :) Good luck

OP
M

MariusJ

Mar 13, 2014
Lephalale South Africa
Parrots
Thanx for everybody's Positive replies. When the vet heard he was sprayed with fabric softener she almost lost it.
we caught him nibbling at some new things, i do think it could also be because our Loriikeet that is caged next to Romeo eat almost Anything and makes everybody know when he is enjoying himself :-D haha.
I have to say that we where very discouraged and almost got like a type of buyer remorse when he didnt respond right away, even though you know inside of you it might take years, everybody surely hopes, not so? :).
Well Seeing him getting the new bright white primeries, even though they are not even one inch yet, made us exstatic, makes one feel that you are doing something right somewhere.
And I am sure he can feel the positive wibe when we praise him about his new clothes growing :).

Thak all of you so much for your positive support.

I am putting some weat germ oil and garlic oil into his food at 2drops per feeding.
Just for that extra support.

- because he is so almost "cage Bound". do you guys think one should try putting him on a play stand, on an almost permenent basis, our house is total birdsafe, he wil still have his pllaystand "territory" but without the bar barrier which could make interaction more positive???

I am only concerned that if we change anything now he would return to excessive mutilating, and that he could really hurt himsellf if he fell...so I am a bit in a catch 22.

Not that I am hastely going to change everything, just an Idea i am putting out to hear your reactions.

Will post some pics of when we first got him and some new updates as soon as I am on again.

Sorry for all my long posts, he keeps me talking so much. even at work I think I am irritating people hehe.

Regards MJ

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
This is a pretty comprehensive overview of working with a cage bound bird. Of course, no one article or book even can possibly account for every variable or just an individual birds temperament. Your vet can also assist and guide you if you ask him or her direct questions. It is a sad and unfortunate thing to happen to a bird:(, but like all other behavioral issues it CAN be reversed and the bird CAN learn normal and positive behaviors-

The Cage-bound Bird

OP
M

MariusJ

Mar 13, 2014
Lephalale South Africa
Parrots
Thanx Kiwi, will have a look Greatly appreciated.

Great Photos, just seeing them now #blush. can wait till Romeo gets there, still a long way ahead though :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Marius, never worry about writing long posts! Your work with Romeo is fascinating to all of us and we're enjoying every minute of it! I would say leave the free-standing perch for some weeks yet. You don't want to force Romeo out of his cage until he's ready to leave it. If you simply leave the door open, he'll make his way out when he's ready. There are so many more things he has to learn yet: for example, he has to learn to play with his toys, to forage for food, to preen correctly, to step up nicely and so on and so forth. All you can do is offer him the opportunity to leave his cage and if he doesn't take it, then, respect that decision and keep waiting. He'll come out when he's ready. :)

Most Reactions