1 LSC2
1 G2
1 RB2
2 Budgies
1 PFL
1 Senegal
1 Blue Quaker
1 Amazon
First off, let me say I don't give a rat's behind if he ever talks. I figure talking is a bonus, not a requirement. But I see so many cute 'Zons on the 'net, talking and singing up a storm. My 'Toos don't say much besides night night, peak a boo and step up.
My newly rescued 'Zon is still a baby and it would be awesome if he could learn something cool.
Any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Start early and talk with him a lot. Singing is a good way to get them started.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Chinese Water Torture...

Waterboarding...

Bright lights and sleep deprivation i.e. 1920's Police Tactics....

Oh, wait, not that kind of talking... nevermind!

Some do. Some don't. Some do, and then won't with you...

I have a 43 year old amazon who says Hello about once every ten years...

They talk when they feel like it.

The more you interact with them, the more likely they are to interact back, but there is no guarantee...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
First off, let me say I don't give a rat's behind if he ever talks. I figure talking is a bonus, not a requirement. But I see so many cute 'Zons on the 'net, talking and singing up a storm. My 'Toos don't say much besides night night, peak a boo and step up.
My newly rescued 'Zon is still a baby and it would be awesome if he could learn something cool.
Any tips?

If he's a baby, just give it time, and work with him.

Singing, repeating certain phrases every once in awhile. Just interacting...

"I can talk. Can you fly?!"

One of these day's he'll just surprise you with it.

It's not like you're talking into a tape recorder...

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Chinese Water Torture...

Waterboarding...

Bright lights and sleep deprivation i.e. 1920's Police Tactics....

Might want to be careful with those kinds of tactics. This is an amazon we're talking about here. The human may very well find themselves on the receiving end, being extorted for junk food:eek:.

My amazon isn't much of a talker (he came with a 3 word vocabulary and one of those words is one we don't wish him to repeat:54:). He does get most 'excited' to talk when the vacuum is going or when we bring him in the shower (or when you're eating something he can't have but REALLY wants). Amazons need to be in a certain 'mood' to learn, so the real trick is getting your zon the right kind of excited. Common things that make zons happy are music, showers and vacuums.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
then on the other side of the coin,my Amy talks up a blue streak at times

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
then on the other side of the coin,my Amy talks up a blue streak at times

Yep.

Be careful what you wish for. Because sometimes they start talking and just never shut up...

(Must resist urge to make corny "girlfriend" and MIL jokes... )

Most Reactions