Anybody know anything about cast iron?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Can you contact them and ask details? They might be interested in yours if they are related, so that could be your opening line lol (even if you don't plan to sell)

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Can you contact them and ask details? They might be interested in yours if they are related, so that could be your opening line lol (even if you don't plan to sell)

I doubt it, haha. I donā€™t think theyā€™re related however. I did some more digging and it seems like this is a very popular model- but thereā€™s no maker attributed to any version Iā€™ve seen. Iā€™ve seen ones with bases, ones that are golden, ones that have the same head but a slightly different pose, anything you can dream up. Iā€™m really confused. Is there such a thing as an unlicensed model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Staffordshire dog figurines would be a decent example of something that lots of people mimicked (some quite well)--yet, not all of the real ones had clear markings. I am not sure of the historical legality of copying a style, but times were different and those who could often did lol! If you go to Chinatown in NY and know where to look, you can find some very convincing knock-offs (with "paperwork" to "prove" they are real. I guess the thing is, if a maker's goal is just to imitate it makes sense-- a lot of buyers just care about the look or product and not who actually made it. On the flip-side of this coin, sometimes, a lack of ID, combined with certain features is a form of identification/legitimacy (as not all items are signed) lol! So it's all very muddy, but certainly there are valuable items with and without markings.

Last edited:
OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Staffordshire dog figurines would be a decent example of something that lots of people mimicked (some quite well). I am not sure of the historical legality, but times were different and those who could often did lol! If you go to Chinatown in NY and know where to look, you can find some very convincing knock-offs (with "paperwork" to "prove" they are real. I guess the thing is, if a maker's goal is just to imitate it makes sense-- a lot of buyers just care about the look or product and not who actually made it. On the flip-side of this coin, sometimes, a lack of ID, combined with certain features is a form of identification lol! So it's all very muddy, but certainly there are valuable items with and without markings.

Interesting... I suppose he will stay a mystery. Iā€™m assuming heā€™s been copied many a time lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
It is fun though-- try looking up iron molds (that is annoying, but if you look up the history, you might be able to find more there). Like I said, you never know.

It may just be the photo, but on that back (right) leg in that base photo, is there a faint circular marking (when I say right, I mean the right I see when looking at the image)?

Last edited:

Most Reactions