Gina

Jan 23, 2010

17January2010-008.jpg

April002.jpg

Last edited:

razberryswirlz

Jan 3, 2010
Gina,

I feel your frustration. My mother-in-law recently passed away and we inherited my father-in-law and all 8 of their birds. Two of the birds are amazons, Diva and Spunky. They both hate me and my father-in-law keeps reassuring me that amazons are not very cuddly birds. I can approach their cages and talk to them, however, that's it. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say cause I want to be their friends, although I'm learning it;s not possible with all birds.

Cassie

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Will he approach you at all to take a treat, or do you have to go all the way to him?

If he'll approach to take the treat you can use this to 'lure' him off the cage in small increments. First get him to just take a step to get the treat, then two steps, three, four - gradually increase how far he has to go. Rather than being taken off his cage by someone he's not yet sure about he will be choosing to step off his cage to approach you and he'll be rewarded with good stuff every time he approaches you.

ScottinVentura

Nov 15, 2009
Ventura, CA
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
Look at it from his point of view.

Without having any say in it, you're moved to a strange house, with people you don't know, not just once, but twice. And these strangers keep getting in your space, trying to make you do things you clearly don't want to do. How would you feel?

Parrots are smart. They'll control what they can, when they can. Give him time to adjust and adapt to the routines of your house, and to the people there. Give him space so he can start to trust you.

westwood

Feb 4, 2010
Media
Oregon
Parrots
Figaro Congo African Grey 10 yrs old .
Gina I took on a bird that was 50+ yrs old
Loosing him now to old age 10 yrs later is breaking my heart
Aza I renamed baby was very protective of his cage took him 3 months to learn he was allowed in the other parts of the home.
Just give her time . she is mourning too.
after all her mom your hubby's Grandfather passed away.
to us we own them feed them and care for them.
to them we are their Parents .
she needs to learn trust and learn her boundaries just like any child .
Baby was scared , fed nothing but sunflower seeds for 4 yrs . and really needed a friend.
I was lucky to have him in my life . the tears i shed are tears of Good times once Baby learned i was his and he was my love. Tammy

wackymagnet

Aug 6, 2009
Media
Parrots
Parrotlets, blue, whites and yellows, and Peppi! my orangewing amazon
I totally concure with Auggies dad when he said "small increments. First get him to just take a step to get the treat, then two steps, three, four - gradually increase how far he has to go." There are some really great training DVDs out there - I like the GOOD BIRD ones - Barbara Heidenreich - easy to find at bird club meetings or order over the internet. I adopted a 16 yr old wild boy and with lots of regular positive reinforcement He was sitting on my hand getting scritches in a matter of a few months. daily incremental possitive reinforement training to build trust is the KEY! Stick with it and be patient.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I apologize ahead of time for any mispellings, as I am having a battle with Sunshine about who gets the keyboard.

I too agree with AD, small increments is best. But if she's only been with you for a week, give her a little extra time to adjust. You will want to visit her daily, offer a treat, and after awhile you will be able to start the training.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
It took my conure who I'm his second home about 2 months to really adjust and start showing his personality.

Most Reactions

Latest posts