Anyone else save feathers? *pics*

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I keep all of Rosie's feathers unless they are damaged or have poop on them. I have a lafeaber's nutriberry container I put all of Rosie's in(minus the primary's and tail feathers that are too big so they go in a vase), I plan to one day make a fan with her tail feathers, they are slightly discolored and I want to keep it in memory of how far she's come. I also plan to make feather earrings once I have the supplies and know how to do it, once I'm good at it I'll probably sell some them on Etsy.

rosie_s_feathers_by_copperarabian-d5smj9x.jpg

rosie_s_feathers_2_by_copperarabian-d5smjfm.jpg

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I give all my fids' tail feathers and primary feathers to my sister, she makes necklaces and earrings out of them.:)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I save them all! I have a jar full of Puck's feathers, and I'm glad I kept them. I still find one occasionally around the house, and I add it to the collection. :(

Darcy hasn't lost any feathers since I've had him, but I will save those too.

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Wow, that is a lot! And Rosie's feathers are just beautiful! I do have lots of cockatiels feathers from all the cockatiels I had and have now (I had in total 6 cockatiels). But it's all at my old house, I'll try to take a pic next time when I go there.

I don't have any feathers from Ozzie since he hasn't had his molt yet. And I heard that Alexandrine go through pretty heavy molt, so soon, soon I will have lots of feathers from Ozzie :D

Labbie

Jan 23, 2013
Dunedin New Zealand
Parrots
Rainbow lorikeets Rosie and Mollie. Peach faced lovebirds Pixie and Missy. Peach faced lovebirds Storm and Blossom. Blue masked lovebirds Alfie and Millie.
Hi
I kept all my lovebirds feathers. I still have them even though he has passed.

I have now started to collect my Rainbow Lorikeets (Rosie's) feathers. It's interesting to hear ideas what to do with them.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I save them all! I have a jar full of Puck's feathers, and I'm glad I kept them. I still find one occasionally around the house, and I add it to the collection. :(

That must be sad to find his feather randomly :(

Wow, that is a lot! And Rosie's feathers are just beautiful! I do have lots of cockatiels feathers from all the cockatiels I had and have now (I had in total 6 cockatiels). But it's all at my old house, I'll try to take a pic next time when I go there.

I don't have any feathers from Ozzie since he hasn't had his molt yet. And I heard that Alexandrine go through pretty heavy molt, so soon, soon I will have lots of feathers from Ozzie :D
I've been collecting them since august 2011 when I brought her home :D I've always loved feathers, I have a bunch of blue and gold, raptor, and various bird feathers I've been given and found. I love cockatiel feathers, they are so pretty. One of the prettiest feathers I have is a center tail feather from my friends pied cockatiel. I bet a photo of all your tiel feathers together will look really cool.

I love Alexandrina tail feathers, it will be exciting the first time Ozzie molts one and you find it :D

Here's a (bad)photo of my vase filled with feathers, it's off instagram so it's cropped funky. I have some more in a sword box under my bed. I don't pick up random feathers anymore though, unless it's really really cool. If I do I make sure to sanitize it. The gray feathers are Rosie's, her finger feathers are in there too but they are harder to see because they're darker.
feathers_in_vase_by_copperarabian-d5smw2b.jpg

Hi
I kept all my lovebirds feathers. I still have them even though he has passed.

I have now started to collect my Rainbow Lorikeets (Rosie's) feathers. It's interesting to hear ideas what to do with them.
They have beautiful feathers, I love rainbow lorikeets.

I had thought about making toys with Rosie's feathers, she is much better about chewing and plucking, but on occasion I still find a blood feather on the bottom of her cage. I thought that maybe a toy made of her own feathers might help distract her(she loves playing in her feathers when I take them out)

Last edited:

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Ooh, making them into earrings is fun. :D You should test it out. I use most for jewelery but super pretty ones I save in a pretty jar I have, :p

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
I save all Codie's feathers to send to a Member who makes Earings.

I kept Aizen's first moult, bet discarded them after a month of not knowing what to do with them. It looks like others do at least have a practical purpose, so I'll start saving them again!

BeakersBro

Dec 27, 2012
Parrots
Beaker: Cape Parrot
It's weird... I started collecting Beaker's feathers about 6 months ago and I only have 2 feathers so far. What I mean by feathers is the big ones; not the little fuzzy ones.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)

Don't be sad, it's just a reminder that he's still here. ;)

RoseateToo

Jan 27, 2013
PA
Parrots
Rose Breasted Cockatoo "Pink"
Goffin's Cockatoo "Sydney"
I have been able to collect the most beautiful feathers while working at the store! I always kept them hidden though and handed them out to small children who couldn't get over how cool the birds looked! They were always thrilled to be able to take home a memory of the bird and its colors. It was also nice because sometimes a child would find a small, grey, dusty feather on the ground and hold it dearly... until I brought them rainbow colored feathers to have instead! Once a small girl grabbed my heart and I brought out the collection so she could pick some of her own and one by one she had moved my entire collection to the bag I gave her. But how could I tell her no??

So unfortunately I don't have the 2 years worth of all different feathers anymore, but I smile knowing that they went to children who REALLY appreciated them! :)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I have a box full of feathers and go thru it every now and then marvelling at how beautiful they all are. my daughter uses them for craft sometimes as well.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
I have been able to collect the most beautiful feathers while working at the store! I always kept them hidden though and handed them out to small children who couldn't get over how cool the birds looked! They were always thrilled to be able to take home a memory of the bird and its colors. It was also nice because sometimes a child would find a small, grey, dusty feather on the ground and hold it dearly... until I brought them rainbow colored feathers to have instead! Once a small girl grabbed my heart and I brought out the collection so she could pick some of her own and one by one she had moved my entire collection to the bag I gave her. But how could I tell her no??

So unfortunately I don't have the 2 years worth of all different feathers anymore, but I smile knowing that they went to children who REALLY appreciated them! :)
That is so sweet! I can't even imagine the look on their faces... maybe a mixture of this and this: :D:11: (but without the green of course...)

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Jesenice, Slowenia, Europe
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
I always collect Sunnys feathers and keep them in a little box... in this 1 year I've had Sunny I think i collected enough for one more parrot haha :D everything from tail and flight festhers, to those fluffy yellow and orange ones...
now I started to make earrings and necklaces out of them :) I'll post some pics tomorrow, if anyone wants to see

Jmonkey1708

Apr 17, 2013
Parrots
Pepe-Mexican red headed amazon
I love collecting my mexican red headed amazons feathers. My favorite ones are the big ones on his wings! Its so awesome to know im not the only one who does this lol

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
i keep all of my babies feathers in a jar. along with lots of little feathers, it contains both of princes long tail feathers, and a shorter one. 1 of bruno's flights that broke and Ocy's first tail feather (i was so proud when it fell out, like a proud mum when their child losestheir first tooth)
here's a pic of the larger feathers, Prince's tail feather measured 35cm (just under 14")

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i keep feathers too :) i only kept the small baby feathers, after their first molt i only keep tail and wing feathers, or maybe the odd pretty body feather :)

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I keep all of my macaws tail nd wing feathers as well as my m2 and medium sulphurs crest. I also like to hang onto my ther birds tail and wing feathers as well I got ones from the Indian ring neck, amazon, so on. I don't really see why I'd pick up all the little feathers:x I'd fill a container to fast.

M2 crest feathers are really cool :)

Most Reactions