mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
Hi everybody
Just out of curiosity - do your birds tap things with their beaks and then listen to the noise?

Gizmo is obsessed with it. ANything new he will tap. He walks all the way around the house, tapping, 6 or seven times, short sharp taps. Listens very carefully the does it again. He seems to enjoy metal things the most that make a noise. Or a wine glass. He is obsessed. He taps the glass, listens to the "ziinnggg" noise (with his eyes pinning like crazy) then repeats. ANd repeats. And Repeats. Lol. It makes it very hard to have a glass of wine! Apparently the best noise comes from a black Moet champagne flute...he sees that sucker and will not rest until he has tapped it, oh, 780 times or so.

Anyone elses bird do this or have I just got a weirdo?

Im thinking of getting him one of those kiddie Xylophone/glockenspeil toys. Actually now that i think of it he has a toddlers toy where you push the button and it makes a noise and he loves it so much its nearly out of battery....

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
My cockateil does it as well

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol nut only seems to do it on the window frame, and i always worry its cos she can hear a bug lol

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
It may be a behavior that will allow them to listen for things crawling in order to find a good meal.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Kazi has a toy like that. He hates that thing. Every once in a while I'll hit a button on it and he'll race toward it in a fury. Mostly we just keep it out of sight, though!

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Greybeard has picked it up from Chewbaca. It's done but maybe once a day. It reminds us of Morse Code from a telegraph, or the woodpecker down the street.

TortoiseLady17

Mar 25, 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
April - 32 year old Panama Amazon!
Zuri - 3 year old Congo African grey
George - 4 year old Panama Amazon
Maui will do it sometimes, mainly on metal and wood. When he does it he puts his crest up and gets very excited.

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Wheatley - 4 year old Green Cheek Conure
Im thinking of getting him one of those kiddie Xylophone/glockenspeil toys. Actually now that i think of it he has a toddlers toy where you push the button and it makes a noise and he loves it so much its nearly out of battery....

That's an awesome idea! My green cheek loves to bang things with his beak. I bet he'd have a lot of fun with a little xylophone.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011

That's an awesome idea! My green cheek loves to bang things with his beak. I bet he'd have a lot of fun with a little xylophone.

it'll be like the toy at christmas where the batteries go missing, or wish you never got lol
or in my case get some relatives kids in revenge for what they got ours last year :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Hi everybody
Just out of curiosity - do your birds tap things with their beaks and then listen to the noise?

Gizmo is obsessed with it. ANything new he will tap. He walks all the way around the house, tapping, 6 or seven times, short sharp taps. Listens very carefully the does it again. He seems to enjoy metal things the most that make a noise. Or a wine glass. He is obsessed. He taps the glass, listens to the "ziinnggg" noise (with his eyes pinning like crazy) then repeats. ANd repeats. And Repeats. Lol. It makes it very hard to have a glass of wine! Apparently the best noise comes from a black Moet champagne flute...he sees that sucker and will not rest until he has tapped it, oh, 780 times or so.

Anyone elses bird do this or have I just got a weirdo?

That's actually really funny you mentioning this!!! Willie like to do it to a stainless steel bowl then he stick his head in it to listen to it...lol....

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph loves to play tapping games. He'll tap his beak on the bars of his cage, a branch of his playstand tree-- almost anything. I have to tap back, exactly the same way. If I don't get it right, I get squawked at. :D Ralph seems to enjoy hearing the way different materials sound when he taps on them too. The stainless steel food bowls are a favorite because they make such a nice ringing sound. :)

OP
mrob

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Thanks for all your stories guys im glad mines not just a weirdo! Definitly getting him a glockenspeil!!

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Hey, I just "won" a toy wooden xylophone off ebay for the kids, and it will arrive from the east coast in about ten days. We'll see if they have musical talent...

I always enjoyed the marimbas down Mexico way..

$%28KGrHqVHJBUE-cQHd-%29GBPr,DIhBlw%7E%7E60_58.JPG

Chewbaca will enjoy it, one way or the other.

Last edited:
OP
mrob

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Thats PERFECT!!
I have to get my hands on one!

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Jesenice, Slowenia, Europe
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
my sun does the ''scream into a bowl/glas/hand/shirt/whatever and listen then look stupid cause you don't know what the hell that just was and try to do it again'' :p

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Hey, I just "won" a toy wooden xylophone off ebay for the kids, and it will arrive from the east coast in about ten days. We'll see if they have musical talent...

I always enjoyed the marimbas down Mexico way..

$%28KGrHqVHJBUE-cQHd-%29GBPr,DIhBlw%7E%7E60_58.JPG

Chewbaca will enjoy it, one way or the other.

That looks awesome. :D Let us know how you go.

Most Reactions