Anyone Fimulair with Derbyan Parakeets?

becdimarc

Mar 9, 2018
Ontario , canada
Parrots
lost my pinapple conure a year ago.
hello everyone,
i am new to this fourm and i am looking for some help!
ive recently been looking around for a new bird to bring home to join our family, and someone had contacted me today about having baby derbyan parakeets that will be ready in may.
they are gorgouse birds, as ive always loved mustache parakeets, but when looking online and trying to do research on them to make sure they will fit well with our family, i cannot find very much info on them!
so if anyone can help me, and/or direct me into the right direction on finding out more about this stunning bird, i would really appericate it!

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
They're not all that common as pets where I live, but there is an instagram account that features a pair of very friendly Derbyan's, their antics and their homelife. I'll try and track it down for you!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Becdimark..welcome to the forum..you will love it here! Thank you for reaching out,so many extremely knowledgeable people are here from all over this wonderful world

I clicked on the photo of the Derbyan 'keet and they are gorgeous creatures.
Sorta like a 'stash parakeet.

Good luck in your search. Even if you don't find what you are looking for,PLEASE stick around! Like I said...you'll love it here! :D

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Fuji - Moustache Parakeet 6 yrs Old
I have a Moustache Parakeet, very similar to the Derbyan. Fuji is almost five years old. He has a vocabulary of about 50 words, he does a few tricks and is potty trained. He does not scream. Occasionally he does a contact call but nothing too loud. He bites from time to time but a majority of the time he is on good behavior.

I would highly recommend a Moustache Parakeet if you can find one.

Good luck with your search.

OP
B

becdimarc

Mar 9, 2018
Ontario , canada
Parrots
i plan to stick around!!
just on the hunt for the perfect little feathered friend for me!
but there just isnt many breeders or rescue groups or even pet stores around me that carry medium-large size parrots!
its been a little fustarating! but i will not give up !! lol

OP
B

becdimarc

Mar 9, 2018
Ontario , canada
Parrots
I have a Moustache Parakeet, very similar to the Derbyan. Fuji is almost five years old. He has a vocabulary of about 50 words, he does a few tricks and is potty trained. He does not scream. Occasionally he does a contact call but nothing too loud. He bites from time to time but a majority of the time he is on good behavior.

are they affectionate birds? i want someone that wants to hangout with me all day while im home putting around doing the daily chores and at night when its time to relax and watch tv, and just someone to keep me company!

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
i plan to stick around!!
just on the hunt for the perfect little feathered friend for me!
but there just isnt many breeders or rescue groups or even pet stores around me that carry medium-large size parrots!
its been a little fustarating! but i will not give up !! lol

Try some bird shows.

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Fuji - Moustache Parakeet 6 yrs Old

are they affectionate birds? i want someone that wants to hangout with me all day while im home putting around doing the daily chores and at night when its time to relax and watch tv, and just someone to keep me company!

He is very affectionate. In the evenings he hangs out on the couch with me watching tv. He always wants to be with me...I call him my Velcro birdie. The Derbeyan Parakeets look pretty as well. It seems you can’t go wrong if you get either species.

Most Reactions