Anyone get "dissed" by your parrot?

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Just thought this was funny. We've been having some major "parrot dissing" over here!

First is Cody! He is my bird and he loves me, but sometimes I think he gets plain bored of me! :p There are some days that I'll have him out, and he'll just keep flying to my other family members! My sister does really like him, and interacts with him often. So I understand why sometimes he obsessively flies to her, but my mom and brother are terrified of him! And he'll STILL fly to them! Then I get the whole, "Brittney, get him!" as they cringe and I have to run to their rescue. :p Keep in mind he never bites them, but they are still very afraid of him (well, he HAS bitten my mom before when she tried to get him to step up, but it didn't even break the skin...). He'll just keep flying back too! And I just sit there on the couch all birdless as he brushes me off for everyone else. :p

Then next is my sister's cockatiel. I rescued him from our backyard back in May, and since we could never find the owners, he's here to stay. Well, I rescued his butt, and he's my sisters bird, but he can't stand the two of us! :p When we take him out, he puffs up, and every move we make he bluff bites at us. There are very few times where he's "pleased" with us! :D However, when we hand him to my mom, who's only ever interacted with him like 3 times? He perks up, and he starts whistling his tunes! Then they sit there and whistle tunes back and forth like they've been friends for years, and as soon as my sister (again, his owner!) picks him up or I pick him up, he puffs up and gets mad again. :p

Like I said, lots of giving the cold shoulder over here! :p Anyone else have similar experiences?

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Yes, like all the time! LOL. My keet would just get bored with me sometimes and walkaway to the nearest plagym and ignore me completely. :p The little bugger, lol

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I totally know what you mean!

I bought Sunshine and Pineapple to be MY birds, and Sunshine is totally breaking my heart with how he abruptly 'chose' my Mother. When she's not in the room, he's singing, talking, and playing with me. When she walks in, he can't get his eyes off of her. :(

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
HAHA so its not just me?

Some days Eddie just prefers to be on my Dad's shoulder (although my dad is probably the only other person that interacts with him fairly often). Totally ignores me, while I slave away scooping up his poop and replenishing his food bowls lol.

Not Buddy though, she's loyal lol. She will only land on someone else in an emergency. She often won't land on me if other people are moving around because she is scared of them, so when she is flying I usually have to yell "Stand Still!" and then she flys over to me :rolleyes:. Otherwise she just keeps circling the room.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Birds love who they love. I'm apparently bird-kin or close to it. All 4 birds in our house at the moment are more attached to me than anyone else. Although Max is seriously considering divorcing me and re-bonding with our youngest son, which would be a good thing. Jade is my husband's bird, but she's much more attached to me. I like to think Ruby loves me best, but it may just be that I'm the one she can convice to give her treats (she's such a piglet!). And she annoys Jade and Popcorn when she sits on my shoulder.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Hiroshi totally dissed me when I first brought him home. I live with 3 other people so I had the "I really hope he chooses me" fear. I was heartbroken to discover he wanted to be with my mom all the time. When she was around he would bounce to get over to her and want to play in her hair. Now it's the opposite, he wants to be with me YAY!

He will still go to anyone for scritches and cuddles but once he is done with them he wants to come back to me lol.

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
lol, glad it's not just me! :p Parrots are so funny, they definitely have a mind of their own!

Most Reactions

Latest posts