Anyone have ideas for trick training or games for enrichment?

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
Does anyone have any ideas for trick training? Not so much for entertainment for me but just fun games to enrich my eclectuses life? Hes a very very quick learner and he LOVES to learn but he learns things faster then i can think them up!! He does shakehands, turnarounds, basketball, simple stuff like that....any ideas would be appreciated!!

shanlung

Banned
Banned
Jun 1, 2010
Gaia
Go find a castle and climb to the rampart.
And cue your birdie to fly up to you.

4059642311_ba6ce30b7f_z.jpg

Or across to you

4060397342_e8565ee869_z.jpg

Or down to you
4060419474_cea8b99c91_z.jpg

Details in
shanlung: Harry Potter // Rustaq // 1st overland into Lhasa

Find a nice desert to let your birdie take wing in

4395906292_798efaf4bf_z.jpg

4395186851_51be12db3a_z.jpg

From
shanlung: Chile // Riamfada free flights at the edge of Rub Al Khali

The birdie life will get more enriched than you can imagine.

Not to be done by the faint of heart or by folks prone to catatonic fits.
Helps if you are not very sane too.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
omg shanlung! i am glad your bird is so strongly bonded to you! i think mine would go off for a wonder an get lost!

an lol mrob have you tried anything with coins?? nut seems to like figuring out how to pick them up an the sound they make when she drops them, especially if she hits a foot!!! ie my son's, his such a screamer bless him

i've not got a money box as such for her, but she will place them in different bowls etc

OP
mrob

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
oh gosh shanlung i think i will have to work my way up to that but im pretty sure im a bit 'faint of heart' for that one! what a beautiful grey!!!

Thanks suebee ill give that one a try, he loves bottle caps and dropping them in cups so coins will make an awesome noise! although our coins here are really tiny and light!

Merlinsmom, great link! thats given me heaps of ideas, thank you very much....!

shanlung

Banned
Banned
Jun 1, 2010
Gaia
suebee,

:D

mrob,

I finally got my wayward tongue out of my cheek.
Freeflights can be far too exciting. I taken small tiny steps towards that, and I tried to write it all. But some stuff are internalised and I might not have written that taking them for granted.

I do not think medieval castles can be found in your country, neither can you find a desert.

Any rate, Murphy, or his minions are always around even if, and especially if, you think it is safe.

You want a more enriched life and closer bonding with your Eckky, try to find the time to read
shanlung: Tinkerbell Legacy - - Rant 03 (a flighted parrot mentality) & Understanding the mind of your grey

That applied not just to grey. To any parrot, and actually even to straight bills as well. You will find that very useful for any kind of training you have in mind.

Think about living with your flighted birdie together at home.
Tinkerbell Legacy - How to live with a flighted parrot at home might give you food for thoughts and perhaps, you might decide the requirements can be met by you and you want to do that.
That Legacy start here

Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - February 2005

You will find when you continued to the next month, the Legacy talked of clicker training.
That is the basis of any training, bonding and trick training.

And likely to be as much fun for you as well as for your birdie.

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Lulu)
@mrob: You can teach her to fetch balls/coins? :D

@shanlung: It is amazing to see your pictures. Your Grey must be verry happy and healthy. I wan't to train free flight with my own African Grey, but not now. She is still to young, but I'll begin recall training in next week. Do you have any suggestions to some free flight training? My Grey is only 5 months old :)

Most Reactions