Anyone know if these heaters are safe?

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Māui (white bellied caique)
So Iā€™ve been looking at our radiant bar heater bought from Bunnings 2 years ago and Iā€™m not entirely convinced itā€™s bird safe. I havenā€™t checked with the manufacturer yet but regardless it has a wide bar grill over exposed elements that get quite hot (I personally love the heat but Māui would definitely get hurt if he decided to wiggle through the grill!).

Thus, in the midst of Australian summer I am now looking for a new heater. Iā€™ve already contacted the manufacturer of these and am waiting to hear back, but Iā€™m wondering if any or my fellow birders has one of these/knows theyā€™re safe already;

Delohngi - https://www.harveynorman.com.au/de-longhi-2000w-bend-line-ceramic-tower-fan-heater.html

Omega Altise - https://www.harveynorman.com.au/omega-altise-2400w-ceramic-heater-with-led-display-black.html
OR https://www.harveynorman.com.au/omega-altise-2400w-ceramic-tower-heater.html

Thanks everybirdie!

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
The infrared heaters are safe and the radiant heat panel type are as well. They heat object instead of using a blower but both are the same technology pretty much except the fireplace will have a internal deflector to radiate the heat and most use a metal blower to get heat out. They both do great in heating up a space, much better then other space heaters even at same wattage. Yes I do realize being a engineer 1500w is 1500w of heat out, but something with the way infrared works just seem to do better in heating a larger space and quicker overall and way more evenly. The ones that contain a blower are safer as not a open design.

Infrared heater uses glass heating elements and heating coil doesn't have a coating on it as sealed from dust getting in, so they don't need to coat heating element with teflon, PFOA, or PTFE like regular space heaters, as they use the coating to prevent dust from building up on the element, which is a extra cost, no infrared heater that I tested, or know of uses teflon, PFOA, or PTFE. All objects emit and absorb infrared heat, which is part of the electromagnetic spectrum with a frequency below visible light. Hotter objects will radiate more of this heat. This is the basis of the technology for most quartz heaters.

So short answer it is Infrared heaters are safe to use and better overall, so long if you get the ones with a metal chassis internally and not plastic, then you won't have to worry about the plastics off gassing. Even through the plastics are not in direct contact with the heating elements, I don't trust plastic casing period when it comes to heaters. Go with a 6 tube version they are much better then the 4 tubes. With any heater always run outside for a hour, or so can burn off any factory chemicals that was used during assembly.

Most Ceramic heaters are safe to use as no coating that has teflon, PFOA, or PTFE due to is a ceramic element, would contact manufacturer to make sure.

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
I see your in Sydney, Australia, so you guys have 230v 50hz. Not sure on options as looked and they don't have much to choose from as far as infrared goes except the bar type? I know DeLonghi is a more reputable brand, but they do seem like casing is plastic and the other two look really cheaply built.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I use the sweeter Heater a radiant heat panal that is bird safe..

OP
Ezekiell

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
I use the sweeter Heater a radiant heat panal that is bird safe..

I looked those up and it looks like a heater for the bird. I am actually looking for a heater for the family (ie humans) that is bird safe (ie wonā€™t off gas teflon, present a safety hazard re too large grill/exposed or very hot bars that could burn a curious bird).

OP
Ezekiell

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
I see your in Sydney, Australia, so you guys have 230v 50hz. Not sure on options as looked and they don't have much to choose from as far as infrared goes except the bar type? I know DeLonghi is a more reputable brand, but they do seem like casing is plastic and the other two look really cheaply built.

A lot of what you said above largely went over my head, I had to look a lot of that up.
Yes, Im in Australia and our aviculture here is pretty outdated as is the options for appliances that are bird safe. I already know that Iā€™ll have to run it outside first, but Iā€™m more concerned with getting something without teflon.

Most Reactions