Anyone know where to find bamboo like this (DIY newt tank)?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So, I recently found out that our little fire belly newt could live up to 30 years!!! We took him from a neighbor who was going to flush him because their kids lost interest. I looked at a sign on a tank of them at a pet store after we got him that said they lived 3-5 years (which I just assumed was true). It's been longer than 5 years since we've had him, and after making a cross country move with us, I got curious about how long they ACTUALLY live and finally did some research. I know I should have looked more into him when we got him, but he's such a "minimal footprint" animal compared to Kiwi, I just fed him and cleaned his tank and didn't think much more about it.

Anyways, I saw this tank online a while ago, and thought it would be a nice DIY project for Mr. Newts tank since we have a tropical theme home- http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b9/75/08/b9750823a7200b3ead13f352d43f5ca7.jpg
He only has a 5 gallon tank, so it should be relatively easy to make a similar bamboo cover (I'm thinking something that can lift off like how a tissue box cover works), but I can't find the bamboo. Any idea where I can get bamboo suitable for a project like this? It's not any rush, just something I've been thinking about doing for a while :)

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
Google bamboo strips, I did it for kicks and found sites where you can buy it.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I did google it, but they are all completely round in the size I need. I was hoping to find some kind of "craft" bamboo instead of garden or decorative sticks of it. I'm thinking I'm going to have to end up halving them myself :-( I was hoping to find them already halved so they can be easily attached to the flat framework. However, a couple of those placemats might work for the roof. And if the little guy will be with us for 20+ more years, I guess I can justify the effort to give him a stylish home (though I doubt he cares).

Kisota

Jan 9, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Yellow-sided GCC - Cuzco | Cin. pearl pied tiel - Tilli
I don't really have advice regarding the bamboo - I just wanted to congratulate you on the newt.

Mine was our class pet when I was in second grade. I took him home at the end of the year (won him at a little auction thing we had with points we'd gotten from doing vocabulary words all year). :)

I will finish my first year of graduate school in May. Tiny Tim is still kicking at at least 15 years of age. Needless to say, I have a major soft spot for newts and think they are fantastic. I sure hope your guy will have a long happy life as well. Reptiles and amphibians really can live a ridiculously long time.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Kisota- That's so sweet you've had your newt so long, and it's a great story behind him :) You must've taken very good care of him. You rarely hear of people who care well enough for their "exotic" animals that they live out their true lifespan. Reptiles and amphibians make so little "noise" in our lives that I don't think many people realize just how long they can live with proper care. My leopard gecko was my first pet- I was 7. I just turned 25, and Leo is still with me. He's completely blind now and has no toes left (difficult molts), but he still comes out and climbs up his log to bask and is quite plump, so I figure he's not suffering (though it's hard to tell). I will be heartbroken when he finally goes... He's been my buddy for 18 years. I hope Mr. Newt (that's his name BTW) also has a good, long run in our home!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
30 years??!! Wow! Who knew :11: I'm glad you rescued him when you did. Horrible that he was almost flushed down the toilet! That wrenches my heart.
Now look how lucky he is! That's wonderful. Good luck with the bamboo.

Most Reactions

Latest posts