anyones Amazon go nuts when you rub them

Todd.F

Feb 10, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Parrots
Mealy amazon
Red lored amazon
My mealy goes crazy when he gets rubbed on his head or his body. He only let's my fiancé and my son do it though as he's not comfortable with me yet. His former-former owner punched him in his beak and broke it so I think he has trust issues. He picked up with my son immediately though. Anyway when he wants attention he starts to make a noise almost sounding like a mix between a purring wheezing sound that gets louder and louder when he is petted. He grabs the cage with his beak and starts cackling away. When my son does it he grabs his finger with his feet. It is so funny to watch. I'll try to post a video later if max will let me. I'll post a picture of it but its not as good as hearing him

. Tickle.jpg

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Almost all of them like to hang on to something when getting their head rubbed/scratched. If you're "petting" HIM on the back you might be stimulating him ( though this is usually more for females). How old is Max? they usually reach maturity at about 7 yrs . Most of my zons do make some kind of sound when being petted/preened, usually a low growl/purr type sound.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
kinda sounds like a little too much stimulation to me lol I saw a great article someone posted a link to but I can't find it anymore, maybe they'll see this and post it for me.

OP
T

Todd.F

Feb 10, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Parrots
Mealy amazon
Red lored amazon
Max is 8. He's supposed to be a male. My future mother-in-law says that's what he is, but I think I'm gonna get him DNA checked since its not to expensive. He can barely be rubbed and he does this....almost sounds like he's having a big OP.jpg

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
It may past with the season but if you keep stimulating him it will take much,much longer. usually early AM and late PM are the worst times of day for hormonal behaviors. I'd try and avoid the triggers for this behavior. It may seem kind of "cute" but IMO will lead to problems later.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Max may turn out to be a Maxine....but henpecked is absolutely right about not encouraging this sort of thing.

My Hunter is quite hormonal at the moment, so much so, that cuddle sessions in the evening have been replaced by excercising together. NO kidding. She's just in "that" mood, and there is nothing I can do about it, but I won't encourage her, as I don't want to end up with an egg...or 2.

LakeDesire

Sep 27, 2012
Media
Seattle
Parrots
Jade (Nanday Conure, 20),
Henry (Red-Crowned Amazon, ~15), Joey and Sophie (Congo African Greys, ~17)
Henry also "goes nuts" when my partner pets her, especially if he pets her back... we learned from posting here that Henry was expressing female mating behavior and was finding the touch arousing! So now my partner pets her on her head so she doesn't get teased or start laying eggs.

She only lets me pet her head, doesn't let me touch her body, so she must think of me as "just friends." Head pets are supposedly platonic, but Henry still gets "excited" occasionally when my partner pets her head, so he'll stop and let her cool off.

Does Max also spread his wings and throw his head back? Henry coos and begs for food when my partner pets her... I guess that is also mating behavior.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
If anything ,It sounds like your progressing in your relationship with Max:) I know you just got him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts