anything to say about conures???

Blackfang320

Apr 18, 2011
near pittsburgh PA
Parrots
a beautiful baby Cinn. Turq. girl Beanie =)
as some of you may know im getting a conure and i was wondering if anyone had any advice or warnings to tell me or just general things about them thanks =)

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
Make sure you teach him how to play independently. If you dont he could become too attacked and will develop behavioral problem when your gone. Teach him that being with you is super fun, but also being in the cage doesnt have to be boring lol. Also you will encounter a certain age when they get nippy and like to scream alot. just work through it with your lil guy and keep training. Also be prepared to have your heart ripped out should something bad happened. Trust me its happened to me. You're going to love him so much so treasure him every moment you have him. Lastly have a blast with him, he will be a great joy to you.

FeatherFrog

Apr 12, 2011
Wapato,Wa
Parrots
2GCC "Tsume&FireTail"
For any pet I recommend people to research all they can. Before they even decide to buy an Animal and bring it in their home. I worked in a Vet clinic for 4 years. Seen all types of animals abandoned by their owners. This doesnt mean not to get your sweet little feathered friend. Just means knowledge is a great tool on living with your animal companion in his or her life as best as possible. GCC are known to nip(beaking) through out their young life.Because how they touch & explore. when they get to 2 yr. They go through what everyone calls the terrible two's( all parrots ). My opinion is tht you train early on. And this beaking problem shouldnt be much of a bad birdie mood type of thing. I do agree with Parrot Parent. Should teach them to play independently. So, they dont rely on you for entertainment all the time. GCC are known to act bigger then their actually package is. Which is Hillarious. Also have to keep an eye out. It will lead them into trouble with other pets in the house hold.The son(FireTail) is now attacking the cats & bullying his mother... My 2 r rescues I;ve had for almost 2 years now. Both deal with problems. One with a crooked beak(Mom) the other a crooked foot(Son). Remember not all act the same. You might have one who be a sweet heart through out her life with you.First thing you should teach Beanie is the step up & step down. If and when Beanie gets scared flys off. whether her wings are clipped still can fly. As you go over to pick her up. Should be a easy part. Not causing more of a uproar & scarying her again. Check on posionous plants. I;ve heard alot of birds died from eating a toxin plant. No using nonstick cookware. The fumes have killed birds too. Check on what your parrot can & cant have to eat ? Parrots love to explore so will get in anything, supervision is a plus... Have any more questions glad to help =)

OP
Blackfang320

Blackfang320

Apr 18, 2011
near pittsburgh PA
Parrots
a beautiful baby Cinn. Turq. girl Beanie =)
thanks it was really helpful both of you =) and ive done a lot of research lol trust me but i was just wonderning if she starts to nip how do i break that? like ive read that you dont yell or hold their beak because that makes them dislike you so if she ever nips what is the best way to deal with it??? thanks it is much appricated =)

Lambert

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure- Echo.
What you do is say no and put it in a cage without toys all by itself for about 5 minutes. You have to do this consistently so that it works. Remember punishment only works when it's swift, consistent, and unescapeable. The bird will soon realize nipping is no good and will stop doing it. After the five minutes are up go up to it and say step up. Then treat it like you normally will. This is how I got my new GCC baby to stop "nipping" me. Goodluck when you get it please post pictures of it. Oh and also when it does good things make sire you let your bird know how well its doing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts