bree

Jun 13, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Citron Cockatoo
3 B&G Macaws
I have gotten a green cheek conure and i named him apollo he is going on 8 aug. 15th he is my baby and i absolutly love him to death when i got him we instantly bonded he trusts me to do anything with him. We groom eachother and the whole 9 yards and he has never bit me but...all the sudden he hates me he dont want me to hold him or even be near him... he used to fly to me and always wanted me but now he hates me! He will make sure he flys to my mom or dad and if i go to get him he flys again and runs from me. I hate to admitt it but it makes me cry! I have never been that heartbroken befor:'( i didnt do anything to him to make him do this he gets the same time out its just one day he woke up hating me. He wont talk to me or even get excited when i come back in the room anymore. But when mom or dad do he gets all excited! How can i get him to love me like he used to...it breaks my heart and makes me cry knowing that he wants nothing:confused: to do with me:'( i just want my best friend back! Can anyone help?

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
There must be a reason for his change. Is anything different about you? New color hair? Different haircut? New eyeglasses? Birds do not accept change easily. You should approach him as if he was new to you. Let your parents hand him over to you. Give him treats, talk sweetly, etc. Start back at square one, if you cannot figure out what is bothering him.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
You need to start from scratch, and win back his trust. Sit by his cage and talk to him every day for a while, or just sit next to him and read a book - just so he gets used to you again. Are there any other changes in the house that he could be reacting to, any new pets, did you change your hairstyle, or soap or anything so you seem different to him?

This is not a hopeless situation, but with patience, and maybe some bribery with treats, you can probably win him back.

BillBird - you and I were posting at the same time! ;)

OP
B

bree

Jun 13, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Citron Cockatoo
3 B&G Macaws
Well i was home alone so i took him out for a good 2 hours..he actually let me scratch and love him! Untill someone walked in! Then he booked it. Its like hes trying to act like he hates me around people! My dad tried to avoid him but he was persistant and dive bomed him. And i hadnt done anything different the only thing i can even think of is the ferret cage was moved thats about it. I just dont understand why he hates me! The parentals only pay attention to him every so often but i feed clean and do all the work. I give him treats to bribe him. He will step up but once i take him out of the cage hes gone like a bat out of hell! Do you think he might think its funny that im upset? Should i give him him the cold shoulder? But he will still get fed let out for excercise and what not .

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
not the cold shoulder but like you said you feed him, etc

this is what i did with the nut, at the start i was number one, then it was my man

when she was on him etc, i left her to it, but i was still main care giver. over time she was mine when his not about, and as soon as he walked through door that was it, i was history

but he didn't preen her etc but i do, i spend most of the day with her when not working, but as my son is getting older, his moved up 2 shoe sizes and is now in man sized clothing, she is liking him more.

it could very well be your age and a host of other things don't take it personal, enjoy your quality time together, and when your parents are about let him be, an get your parents to place him back onto you, that way he will never see it as you taking him away from them

oh when they get something they really want to do i.e. fly to current fav person, nothing will stop them! nuts even tried to chew through a door.

it took about 6months plus and its now just over a year for me to get to where i am with the nut, we have had other major problems, but time and patience will always win!

when ever a friend comes to visit, nut is all over them like a rash, preening them etc especially if they are male, the little tart lol but its important to have different ppl in there lives, it keeps them well so******ed!

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
I would try to interact with him without your family members or friends around. Just you and Apollo. Our Amazon will try to bite me if my mother is around, because she is my moms bird and hated my brother and I when we were growing up, and we still aren't really liked at all.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
As somsone else has mentioned - start from scratch and work on building a new bond. This happened with my green cheek conure as well - she went from a snuggle bug to a lean, green, biting machine just about overnight. I gave her plenty of space, worked at her pace, and started with step up training again. It took a few months, but I was able to rebuild our relationship and she's been a complete sweet heart ever since. I've also learned to read her body language a lot better, give her space when she needs it, and reinforce desired behavior instead of punishing for the endesired.

Rik398

May 3, 2012
This comment may not go down to well, but hear me out.

I am not sure that birds 'love' people in the same way that we do. It is simply the case that they prefer to be with someone over another for many possible reasons. For example, My bird may prefer to be with me as I have wider shoulders than my partner for instance. Or, it may be the case that he feels he is better protected with your parents.

Have you been ill or anything like that recently?

Also, you may be reading too much into it. It may be that he has done it, you have noticed it, and therefore are now looking out for it, which means you notice it happening more than if you had not realised it.

Also, I doubd birds are capable of hating someone... like I said, it is probably something very subtely different, and the change in behaviour is not likley to last long. It could just be that he is after some kind of novelty, or change of scenery for a bit.

OP
B

bree

Jun 13, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Citron Cockatoo
3 B&G Macaws
-Update
Apollo is back to normal, it took about a month! I had no idea why he turned into a little green monster, things got worse the little brat would dive and bite i didnt do anything and he would try his hardest to get a bite in, so I said enough I hate to do it but your getting clipped! Of course I cried haha! All I seen playing in my head was the scene off of paulie, boy I looked like a baby! After that he went right back to my little lovey apollo! We have since got a home of our own with the others and he seems to be doing better with just "mommy" the only human caregiver. Thank you all for your advice it helped alot,

Nikole182

Jul 17, 2013
Philly
Parrots
Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure "Skittles"
Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure "Holly"
African Red Bellied Parrot "Paulie"
Yellow Canary "Tweet"
Brown Canary "Twitter" RIP
Glad to hear that Apollo is back to his normal self! I wish I could get my conures to be so sweet with me but they team up on me lol.

Most Reactions