Archie’s first shower went well!

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
I was nervous, which is why I waited so long to do it.

Took him to his perch on his play area, and as soon as the spray bottle starting hitting him (light mist), wings went far apart so he could take it all in and was having a ball. I turned the AC off just prior, because I was worried about that too.

How often should I do this? Does overdoing it encourage excessive preening, maybe leading to plucking?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yellow napes love showers, so maybe 2-3 times a week. Important to not have breeze or drafts on them when wet ( or other times too). Keeps the feathers in good shape.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My YNA loves to go into the shower with me.
Sometimes I hold him and let the spray splash off my shoulder so he gets the indirect spray. Sometimes I let him sit on the shower door and a splash water onto (and all over the bathroom) him with my hands.

When I splash him with my hands he holds out his wings and bobs his head and gets this manic expression on his face. One day I have to figure out how to record this.
He doesn't like a spray bottle. If given the chance he will RIP and TEAR and totally destroy a spray bottle in less than 30 seconds.

In the winter he doesn't get many showers and because my African grey is more needy I usually take her into the shower instead.

Most Reactions

Latest posts