Are acorns safe for macaws?

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
GW Macaw, CAG, eclectus (Kiwi- RIP)
The oak trees on our lot are yielding quite a bit of acorns...just wondering if they’re safe for macaws?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yes i read oak is not on the safe list. I think it's the tannins in the bark/leaves of fresh oak. I do see the feral amazons here in Florida eating the green live oak acorns. I do notice foods that native animals consume is generally OK for parrots.That's why i started feeding palm nuts and other local seeds,fruits,etc. Acorns are eaten by deer,pigs,squirrels, ducks,turkeys and many countless other birds. In general too much of anything is bad and variety is best. If your bird will eat them, then i think acouple would be fine.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That's one of those depends on who you believe things...

If you read the fine print on Oak, it says we don't know that it's safe, so we're listing it as not safe.

My birds play in an oak tree, and have for at least half a decade now.

I've never seen them actually eat an acorn, but I have seen them pick them off and drop them/use them as chew toys. I don't think they've ever actually ingested them.

They have chewed up bark, and twigs, and leaves, with no ill effects.

Never made any of mine sick.

But that's your individual call.

Most Reactions