are calmer amazons (lilac-crested, etc) better with the amazon teenager years?

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
I was reading a lot on Avianweb and it was warning that around 2-3 years zons have a teenager period where they act up more, be more aggressive, etc, where they have been fine before. Are all amazons like this? what breeds do better?
The Lilac crested was listed as a 'maybe' for being around kiddos. What other amazons could do well (when raised from babyhood) with a family with small children? The children won't be handling the bird unsupervised but they will be around the bird a ton! I just am having trouble finding a lot of resources about Amazons. Maybe an Amazon isn't a good choice for a family in general? Help me out, please, Amazon fans!

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I really can't pinpoint a specific breed, but as I understand it, they ALL go thru "puberty" at one point. I really think the biggest difference is the breed itself, not the sub-species. This is just how I understand it, someone else may correct me.

OP
Pookamama

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Yeah, I knew all birds do go through it, it was all spelled out with several warning paragraphs on each Amazon subecies page, so I figured it must be especially a doozy with them. How much drama is there? I've had four toddlers/preschoolers so I am used to good long phases and sticking it out and waiting for the kid to find out who they are and all that. Is that what the birds are doing? Well plus all those hormones. Teenager two year olds. Yikes!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
It's more like they are maturing and starting to wonder if they'd be the best flock leader. That's how the lead birds make it to the top and lead the flock. They try and run things, if someone puts them in their place,so be it. But if no one else steps up then they naturally try to fill the role. They're just testing the waters ,so to speak. I think it's that way with all of the zons. They're happy being part of the flock if there's a good leader in place (you).

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I have a lilac crown, she was a rescue bird with many, many issues. I can handle her (with loads of input from henpecked) I have made great strides with her in over a year. I wouldn't say she is a good respresentation of the breed because of her issues that she came with (she is 16 now, 15 when we got her) Henpecked speaks very highly of orange wings, they sound like great birds (very reasonably priced too!) Neither the lca or the orange wing are the best talkers of the amazons so I think they are both good choices. I am currently looking at Mealy's which are known to be very gentle.

OP
Pookamama

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Oh, orange wings! Hadn't heard of that one before. I did try to look for a mealy but it seems they are rare. Talking isn't very important to me-i more want a bird that will be happy with our noisy family, outgoing but not a huge bird with a tendency to focus on one person or get aggressive. I plan on putting a lot of work into the bird because I know they need it.

Most Reactions