Are conures sensitive to wind?

Sarvesh

Aug 9, 2015
Pet budgies are sensitive to wind and in general you shouldn't put any bird near a window or ac unit or anywhere it can feel a draft. Ive seen a bunch of videos of people taking their conures for car rides with Windows down in a net see through cage or for bike rides or hikes...is that OK or will they get sick from the wind?

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Wild birds are exposed to the wind every day. I think when people caution against drafts it is more directed at drastically different temperatures or a constant draft such as next to an AC. But there's no reason you can't take your parrot outside or need to turn off the AC so long as the cage isn't positioned in front of the AC.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The biggest factor with conures and wind is them taking off in it, even if they're clipped. On windy days, conures can go a fairly long ways... and when the wind dies down, if they're clipped? They can't get back.

All three of mine were out and about birds. Papaya was free-flighted for around ten years.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I echo what others have said.

While budgies (small parakeets) are especially sensitive to drafts, the real culprit for all tropical birds is more the 'temperature' of the wind in relation to the temperature of the room they are in. A cold winter draft from a window/door into a 70degree room is usually the biggest culprit in causing illness in tropical birds from drafts.

I also think, at least in my experience, that a small draft that only lasts for a couple seconds won't do immediate harm for healthy birds. But if left exposed to the draft for a prolonged period, then you get trouble. But precaution should be taken to avoid any draft of significant temperature change. (ie, a 25degree draft in a 70degree room).

"Room temp" wind, like from a standard fan is not a danger at all, provided that the ambient room temp is appropriate. In fact, many parrots like those.

My cockatiel Peaches, and my sun conure Skittles, both like to sit in front of the fan and will often close their eyes and just sit there.

I tend to pay special attention to winter drafts (living in Maine, I have too). I also pay close attention to the room temp when Skittles is wet from a bath.

You should just pay attention to your birds body language.

But the health of your bird has as much an impact on illness as temperature fluctuations. An unhealthy bird (not adequately nourished, ie Vit.A def.) is much more susceptible to catching illness than a healthy fed bird. Just as is the case with humans. Your body is much more capable of fighting off ailments when you are already in good health, nutrition wise.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
An excellent answer. My birds feel direct wind for a good part of the day, actually. A warm wind here in hawaii, and it's the only reason they are cool enough, as we don't have ac. The issue with wind and drafts, as said, is that they can be much colder than the rest of the room so you may not realize the temps your bird is experiencing. A healthy bird can handle these things just fine :)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Exactly. In my experience, its more the wind/drafts that are relatively 'cold' that are a concern. But a 'cool breeze' on a very hot day may actually only be a '70 degree' breeze in 95 degree weather.

Considering Hawaii is quite near the same distance from the equator as the SoAmerica parrots, I would think the weather there would be 'ideal'.

When I take Skittles out in the warmer months, I use 75 degrees as a minimum to take him out. That way if it cools down while he's out (a few hours at most), it's likely to still be a 'safe temp' for him.

The vet told me to keep the room temp at 75, but I find Skittles doesn't like it that hot. If it gets too high above 70, he wants a bath, which says to me he's too hot. I think parrots become quite accustomed to the weather they are born into/raised in.

Skittles has on more than one occasion felt the 'breeze' of the AC, though not 'directly' on him, but rather from 'circulation' and he's been fine. I've had him for four years (he's 5) and he's as healthy as can be, but I also feed him organic Harrisons as well as some human food as well - fruits, veggies, nuts, pasta and eggs.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sarvesh

Aug 9, 2015
I echo what others have said.

While budgies (small parakeets) are especially sensitive to drafts, the real culprit for all tropical birds is more the 'temperature' of the wind in relation to the temperature of the room they are in. A cold winter draft from a window/door into a 70degree room is usually the biggest culprit in causing illness in tropical birds from drafts.

I also think, at least in my experience, that a small draft that only lasts for a couple seconds won't do immediate harm for healthy birds. But if left exposed to the draft for a prolonged period, then you get trouble. But precaution should be taken to avoid any draft of significant temperature change. (ie, a 25degree draft in a 70degree room).

"Room temp" wind, like from a standard fan is not a danger at all, provided that the ambient room temp is appropriate. In fact, many parrots like those.

My cockatiel Peaches, and my sun conure Skittles, both like to sit in front of the fan and will often close their eyes and just sit there.

I tend to pay special attention to winter drafts (living in Maine, I have too). I also pay close attention to the room temp when Skittles is wet from a bath.

You should just pay attention to your birds body language.

But the health of your bird has as much an impact on illness as temperature fluctuations. An unhealthy bird (not adequately nourished, ie Vit.A def.) is much more susceptible to catching illness than a healthy fed bird. Just as is the case with humans. Your body is much more capable of fighting off ailments when you are already in good health, nutrition wise.

ah i see, cool thanks! yeah some other people from another bird community told me a while ago that i cant even use a fan on my bird if its a hot day and they were talking about how hot it is for them and how they wish they could use a fan to cool their birds...nice to picture ur birds sitting in front of the fan with their eyes closed lol.

maybe i should go tell them! I had a feeling it sounded ridiculous, a bird being too sensitive to wind, lol.

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
Idk, I am so new to all of this but I would think there is a difference between a natural breeze or wind and a fan. (again, I should be asking the questions, not answering them lol)
I have fans in the house but I don't let them blow on my Senegal. Now that her flight feathers have grown back enough for her to get lift, I do not even bother with the ceiling fans. If we walk by a fan, she looks around like what was that lol.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
There is also a difference between ALLOWING a bird to enjoy a fan and FORCING them to endure it. Knowing your bird and their body language is key.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
There is also a difference between ALLOWING a bird to enjoy a fan and FORCING them to endure it. Knowing your bird and their body language is key.

I have 2 oscillating fan on almost 24/7. And at times the AC. Never directly on my bird. The ceiling fan may be on too (only if she is not out). She doesn't seem to mind it. Even when it's breezy outside, she even prefers it.

Most Reactions