Are sales really this easy

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
$800 for all these babies ?

Copy Past from FB

Babies sun conures and indian ring necks ! I bought today a military macaw a violet Indian ring neck and a blue Indian ring neck! Picking them up at 6 pm super excited

Babies heart emoticon sun conures and indian ring necks ! I bought today a military macaw a violet Indian ring neck and a blue Indian ring neck! Picking them up at 6 pm super excited

Comment

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
That sale was in Texas . It seems that is the hot place now to buy and sell. I scan the sites once a day at least

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Oh that breaks my heart :( Those poor babes....

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I guess that's the blessing in New Zealand.

A few re-homes pop up on craigslist type sites, but very few, and then most are genuine unexpected circumstance changes etc. We pay through the roof for chicks ($7,000 USD for an amazon or Macaw, $4,200 USD for a African Grey, $700 USD for a Senegal or Quaker), and they're hard to find. Those who hunt them out tend to know what they're doing.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
I agree the $ helps . I mean if you pay you tend to appreciate. Most people think more of there $ than anything.

You would be shocked to learn what the Adoption fee for BB was and they went up $100.00 every time I saw him . I finally wrote a check so they would STOP going up in price. It was not a Avian vet and all he could see were the dollar signs and low over head. He had BB 2 days and made 100% profit . He never touched him .

As a whole I have more respect for Breeders than I do for rescue. With the exception of a few on our site they are after the $.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
It's a shame that there are so many breeders and rescues who are more interested in profit than the welfare of the birds involved.

It does make me appreciate and respect all the more those breeders and rescues who truly have concern and even love for the birds in their care. They're out there, but it often feels like their numbers are too few.

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At home: Clover- Alexandrine, Sage- Moustache parakeet
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
That sale was in Texas . It seems that is the hot place now to buy and sell. I scan the sites once a day at least

Texas has always been a hot place to buy/sell birds. It's commonplace around here to see birds for sale at all the flea markets. There's usually at least 3-4 "bird stands" selling everything from finches to macaws. And our bird stores tend to have a lot more harder to find species, like the pair of blue headed macs that have been at my LBS. I've just always assumed it's because we're right over the border.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I understand the need for breeders and to some degree rescues to remain financially healthy, but the naked commoditization of innocent flesh is disturbing.
Some folks see them as little more than a great deal on a bag of apples at the local dollar store. :(

To make matters worse, the proper care of a parrot goes well beyond the independence of a cat or relative simplicity of a dog.

Most Reactions