Are there any sworn enemies?

Nexus

Jul 16, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Honey, Jenday Conure
I realize it comes down to the individual bird, but I have a Janday conure, and I was wondering if there were any species of birds that were just not socially compatible with conures?

I was thinking of getting a lovebird, but have been told they can be fairly quarrelsome with other species.

They wouldn't be sharing the same cage, but I'd like them out at the same time.

Peepers

Jul 16, 2014
You should not cage them together. Unless they are a pair you shouldn't cage them with anything. Sorry.

Peepers

Jul 16, 2014
Sorry I just tread it again, I apoligize. An indian ringneck might works. I can now have all of my birds out of the cage at the same time but my African gray, very jealous. I would go with the smaller species.

OP
N

Nexus

Jul 16, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Honey, Jenday Conure
Sorry I just tread it again, I apoligize. An indian ringneck might works. I can now have all of my birds out of the cage at the same time but my African gray, very jealous. I would go with the smaller species.

No worries.

An indian ringneck has been on top of my wishlist. It's just that I like my birds out at all times while I'm home. I just wouldn't want to have give them periods in and periods out to avoid aggressive behaviour.

I suppose socialization is the key.

Peepers

Jul 16, 2014
I have my IRN out and my conure out at the same time, in fact they are out now together. It should work if you have space for them to go where they want.Baby steps in the key.

talkconure2me

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland Oh
Parrots
Diego- 7mo Jenday Conure
Maddie-1yr Green cheek
My jenday and green Cheek are best friends. They have separate sleeping cages, but they share the bird room together and free range. I just have to put out multiple food and wAter dishes in free range because Maddie will get mad at Diego and pull his head feathers! Naughty bird!

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
I think it's really individual bird preferences. The closest bird friends in my house are my hen budgie and my dove. They snuggle and yes, they actually live together with a tiel. But I have known other doves and where quite brutal with other birds, and many budgies are terrible bullies.

Whenever you get a new bird, assume it is for you and that you may always have to keep it apart from your current birds. Once quarantine is over though, you can try to slowly introduce any two birds, but be very careful if there's a big size difference.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I have a gcc and a lovebird, and they get along okay, but not perfectly. My lovie just runs from the gcc all the time although he doesn't demonstrate any aggression, just curiosity. It depends very much on the individual bird. But they are out together with two budgies for hours when I'm at home and are just fine. I also take them all outside in one large flight cage and never had any incidents there too. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts