Are there some "words" common to all conures?

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Lemon says "step up" and he laughs when you laugh. He says a long high pitched "hi", but usually when he sees water so I think that's his word for water. He also says a cute "mmmmmm" whenever you give him something yummy to eat. He used to make kissing noises and imitate clicking noises when he was younger, but he seems to have abandoned that.

He also has a special tweet he uses when he's trying to call me over. That tweet is like my name to him, I guess :) When his sun screeches don't work, he switches to tweet:)

Lol! Yoda also has his own way of saying water.

Every morning Yoda is on my husband's shoulder as he drinks a glass of water. So Yoda now associates the sound of my husband's gulping to mean "Water". Yoda does a perfect imitation of the gulping sounds whenever he sees, hears, or wants some water. :D

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Aside from making his "kissy noises" and 'froggy/duck sounds', Skittles also says 'love you', but you have to be standing right near him to actually hear the words (by that I mean decipher that is what he is actually saying) since sunnies words are very hard to understand due to their 'pitch'.

However, Skittles is very responsive to commands. When I want him to go somewhere (or direct him off of somewhere) I will 'snap' my finger and point to where I want him to go. When I want him to stop him from starting to do something he shouldn't I will wag my finger and say "no, no" loudly but slowly. If I want him to stop doing something he is already doing I say "stop it" in a firm voice. Or, I'll say "Quit being a booger". lol.

He tends to be more responsive to physical commands (hand signals) than he is verbal so I often either just do hand signals OR hand & vocal at the same time. If I put my finger out, he will fly onto it. If I 'tap' on my shoulder he will fly onto it and if I grab the neck of my shirt and shake it, he'll climb into it.

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
Birdie says Good Morning, What Are You Doin?, What's Goin On?, Get Back! Back-Back-Back, Birdie, Birdie Brain, What? and Huh? She absolutely knows when to say Get Back or Back-Back-Back.

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
Oh, and the other thing she says ALL the time is when I get up and move to another room, I'll say what we're doing and she says very quietly, "Okay." It always makes me smile.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Oh, and the other thing she says ALL the time is when I get up and move to another room, I'll say what we're doing and she says very quietly, "Okay." It always makes me smile.

LOL!!! That's so cute!!

OP
YSGC

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
Pico, gender unknown, is a hand-fed Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, born 2015.
Aside from making his "kissy noises" and 'froggy/duck sounds', Skittles ...

Pico also says a great duck's "quack and frog's "ribbit".
Even out in public people have commented that it sounded like those two animals.

This must be a natural vocalization of conures.
I certainly didn't teach those sounds, and we have no ducks or frogs around here.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Both my quakeres quack! Ha I know not conures btw my Conure doesn't quack , but our contact call is the kiss noise

OP
YSGC

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
Maybe Pico is part duck and part frog! :45:

OP
YSGC

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
Both my quakeres quack! Ha I know not conures btw my Conure doesn't quack , but our contact call is the kiss noise

Are you sure your quakers don't ... quake ? :p

OP
YSGC

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
There's nothing cuter than baby parrot sounds! :01:

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My baby Baci used to say “where’s mummy’s baby?” often right before he lunged at my hubby, just to make sure hubby knew his place in the pecking order ... I sure do miss my precious little green cheeked man ...

Most Reactions

Latest posts