Are these bells safe?

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hello! For Christmas my family got me a subscription to Squakbox, which will ship us monthly bird toys! However a lot of them have bells on them, which my conure Kure adores, but I am not sure if they are safe. Iā€™ve heard some horror stories of birds getting their beaks caught and wasnā€™t sure if it was with this type of bell or jingle bells. I have attached a picture so you guys can see, do you think I should remove them?
IMG_5365.jpeg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hello! For Christmas my family got me a subscription to Squakbox, which will ship us monthly bird toys! However a lot of them have bells on them, which my conure Kure adores, but I am not sure if they are safe. Iā€™ve heard some horror stories of birds getting their beaks caught and wasnā€™t sure if it was with this type of bell or jingle bells. I have attached a picture so you guys can see, do you think I should remove them? View attachment 56917
Not sure as how it is attached as it's just out of view!
The body appears to be plated steel and I tend to avoid such products.
The safe approach is to remove the bells.

Last edited:
OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Not sure as how it is attacked as it's just out of view!
The body appears to be plated steel and I tend to avoid such products.
The safe approach is to remove the bells.
I will get a better picture! Is steel toxic? The bowls for her cage are also steelā€¦

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Here are some more pictures
IMG_5370.jpeg
IMG_5371.jpeg
IMG_5369.jpeg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello! For Christmas my family got me a subscription to Squakbox, which will ship us monthly bird toys! However a lot of them have bells on them, which my conure Kure adores, but I am not sure if they are safe. Iā€™ve heard some horror stories of birds getting their beaks caught and wasnā€™t sure if it was with this type of bell or jingle bells. I have attached a picture so you guys can see, do you think I should remove them? View attachment 56917
Unfortunately the horror stories about bells do have basis in fact :( My lorikeet LOVES bells, ANYTHING he can make a noise with in fact, so I've gotten into the habit of buying stainless steel bells to either make my own toys with or replace those that come with pre-made toys. Nothing can be said to be 1000% safe, but they are much safer than those made of "mystery metal". My all time fave though are these tubular bells that you can get from many pet supply stores online ...

tubularbell.jpg

They're not cheap, but they're lovely safe stainless steel with a beautiful tone, and impossible for birdy to remove the clapper!!

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Unfortunately the horror stories about bells do have basis in fact :( My lorikeet LOVES bells, ANYTHING he can make a noise with in fact, so I've gotten into the habit of buying stainless steel bells to either make my own toys with or replace those that come with pre-made toys. Nothing can be said to be 1000% safe, but they are much safer than those made of "mystery metal". My all time fave though are these tubular bells that you can get from many pet supply stores online ...

View attachment 56923

They're not cheap, but they're lovely safe stainless steel with a beautiful tone, and impossible for birdy to remove the clapper!!
Thanks! I will definitely try to invest in some of these!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I will get a better picture! Is steel toxic? The bowls for her cage are also steelā€¦
Steel is not toxic, but what they commonly coat steel with can be. Steel tends to be dull and will rust with time! I target Stainless Steel, which is non-tonic. But cheap and stainless steel do not appear in the same sentence. Steel can be coated with Zinc or Chrome, both of which are viewed as heavy metal (Toxic) and not recommended, especially with active Parrots that love to chew. Both coatings can flake at corners or edges.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks for the photos!
That is one of the best clapper attachments that I have seen!!

But, the outer bell clearly has a coating on it and it 'appears' that the outer, lower opening of the bell has a flashing on the edge.

It would be worth asking the supplier what they coat the bell body with!

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Steel is not toxic, but what they commonly coat steel with can be. Steel tends to be dull and will rust with time! I target Stainless Steel, which is non-tonic. But cheap and stainless steel do not appear in the same sentence. Steel can be coated with Zinc or Chrome, both of which are viewed as heavy metal (Toxic) and not recommended, especially with active Parrots that love to chew. Both coatings can flake at corners or edges.
Ah ok, thank you for all that information! I checked and the bowls are stainless steel, I will look into the bells. If I canā€™t find out I will just remove them.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Thanks for the photos!
That is one of the best clapper attachments that I have seen!!

But, the outer bell clearly has a coating on it and it 'appears' that the outer, lower opening of the bell has a flashing on the edge.

It would be worth asking the supplier what they coat the bell body with!
I will definitely ask, thanks so much!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Both Salty and the Rickeybird heartily endorse these tubular bells. Not a day goes by where these are not a favorite toy to try and kill.
Course in the Rickeybird's case, those "Tubular Bells" take on a very different and far spookier connotation!! :eek:

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Only stainless steel things are bird safe & sadly it's very hard to know if bells on any toy are made of it, especially if it isn't mentioned. Sometimes the chain (if is has one inside) will be, but it doesn't include the bell or the attachment link. Those can often not be stainless steel. Yes, the dingers can be a problem if your bird takes them off, can swallow them, or constantly chews on them as some do-like a pacifier. I have one bird that loves to do that. I remove them as a result. You can remove the dinger with some needle nose pliers, but make sure you bend the metal loop inside back so the jagged ends aren't exposed. I have actually replaced the dingers sometimes with those little plastic pacifier looking toys pieces. They are hard enough to still make a sound, but are safer. It's really hard to know what bird toys are really made of, as a lot are just made in China & stuff (like the tons of toys on Amazon). It often best to buy from bird stores that tend to have better quality (but more expensive) stuff.

Most Reactions

Latest posts