Arm Protection

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Thanks Empath! I do trim all my birds nails, but they still scratch. Although, Savannah is definitely due for a nail trim right now!

Last edited:

cstambaugh

Nov 3, 2013
Parrots
Zeus - Greenwing
Just trim their nails. Wow, that GW nails look like daggers, there is no way he would be on my arm.
Here is Zeus's nails. They dont hurt, leave red marks, anything.
20140128_094905_zpsqkioz2pg.jpg

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Yes I know they are long. But even after they were first trimmed a few months ago, they scratched my arm. But maybe my vet didn't trim the back enough.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I bought it at walmart yesterday so I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow to see how it works out. I'm just tired of getting scratched up every time I hold them.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Hope it works well for you! :)

Empath

Jul 8, 2013
Australia
Parrots
2 Sulphur Crested Too's
1 Red tailed Black Too
1 Yellow Naped Amazon
1 Eclectus
1 Alexandrine
1 Quaker
1 Gold Capped Conure
1 Musk Lorikeet
1 Olive Musk Lorikeet
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek
But maybe my vet didn't trim the back enough.

i swear the nails grow faster at different times of the year. in summer it seems i need to trim more often to keep them under control, in winter it seems slower. i dont know if this is actually the case or i'm imagining it.

with nails, apparently what happens is when you trim them the quick (nerve) receeds back a little bit towards the foot. so initially if you havent trimmed for a while you can only take off a little bit. with time and regular trimmings you take it back a little bit more. so the vet either didnt trim back far enough or was just being cautious.

the way i trim is to trim a small amount (usually the sharp ends) and then file it with a nail file till it's smooth-ish and doesnt feel scratchy. with some birds all i do is cut because they squirm too much, but the ideal for me is trimming and then filing

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Something like this should do the job...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 121
OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
But maybe my vet didn't trim the back enough.

i swear the nails grow faster at different times of the year. in summer it seems i need to trim more often to keep them under control, in winter it seems slower. i dont know if this is actually the case or i'm imagining it.

with nails, apparently what happens is when you trim them the quick (nerve) receeds back a little bit towards the foot. so initially if you havent trimmed for a while you can only take off a little bit. with time and regular trimmings you take it back a little bit more. so the vet either didnt trim back far enough or was just being cautious.

the way i trim is to trim a small amount (usually the sharp ends) and then file it with a nail file till it's smooth-ish and doesnt feel scratchy. with some birds all i do is cut because they squirm too much, but the ideal for me is trimming and then filing

Great advice! Thank you! I will try these tips! :D

Something like this should do the job...

LMAO! :D

Most Reactions