Article about blue throated macaws

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
So is article is Alittle old, but the project is still going on. I love what these people do And what they are trying to achieve. I love the blue throated macaw as I do own one, but I would never want to see them fully reach extinction. I believe at the current time the are slightly over 100 blue throated macaws left And that is an increase from past years.

Here's the article:http://www.parrots.org/pdfs/our_pub..._throated_macaw/Pages from PS 18 1 Feb 06.pdf

If these people keep doing what they are doing hopefully blue throated population will spike back up and we won't have to try and do what we do with the spixs macaws. As that sadly hasn't been working that well trying to release them.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Nice info to read [glad to be aware of whats going on] You must feel passionate about Blue throats . Maybe you can let us know what yours is like. Is it [LARS ?] did you have him since he was a Baby ?

OP
Jtbirds

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lars came to me when he was 9 years old. I got a call from someone who had adopted a m2 stating that there two macaws a blue and go,d and a blue throat were just getting aggresive and loud and unhandleale. So they asked if I could come in and do a behavioral consult with them. I said sure. Lars was suppose to be the aggresive mean one apparently attacking them. Well I reached right in and grabbed him out without much of an issue, he tested me but only because I was new to him. I was able to handle him fine and the people couldn't believe it.... I think they were jus to afraid of him. Then the other was a blue and gold that apparently was screaming for hours. He was very sweet to the man and women and to me as well. I told them how to fix it and so on. A week later they called me asking if I wanted to buy Lars I said no that I would not pay for a bird as enough walk through my doors without paying for them and it would be unfair to do so just for a blue throat... So a day went by and got a call back from them they asked me to take Lars but they wanted his cage... So I left the cage and went and picked up Lars a week later. They still swear to this day that he was soooo aggresive I just can't see it. He loves me to death and I can do anything with him. They didn't take much pride in the care of there parrots feeding them peanuts and seed only. So I guess they just weren't dedicated to making him right. They ended up re homing the blue and gold, they offered him to me but at that moment I had 2 blue and golds which sadly passed away.... I should have taken him in he was such an amazing bird but instead he got sent to some horrible breeder. They also returned the m2 and she is a sweetie really just takes sme time to get to know you and is quite... So a couple years later and here we are Lars is in a great home and being feed a good diet and loves to participate in outreach programs with me. He actually yells at me no when I go to leave for one without him:p. he loves to do what i ask of him really he's so obident to my calls. I'm blessed to own lars(blue throats have always been my favorite birds) and couldn't image my life without him to this day:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts