petit.perroquet

Dec 9, 2020
Parrots
Dill, a cockatiel
Petey, a budgie
Scout, a budgie
Boo, Rest In Peace, sweet angel
Hi all,

Iโ€™m wondering about any potential dangers to the birds from artificial Christmas trees, particularly a flocked one with the fake snow. Iโ€™ve read online to keep birds away from cords and to not let them perch on the tree or chew on it, so Iโ€™m keeping them away from it, but I canโ€™t find too much about flocked trees specifically. Do you know if there are any smells/fumes or other dangers? Thank you! :white1:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
petit.perroquet

petit.perroquet

Dec 9, 2020
Parrots
Dill, a cockatiel
Petey, a budgie
Scout, a budgie

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I would assume commercial flocking is a toxic stew of substances and chemicals to be avoided. Attached article suggests a variety of ingredients including flame retardants for safety. https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/72819/what-exactly-christmas-tree-flocking

Thanks so much for that info, Scott!! Do you suggest the birds be kept in a separate room from the tree or should we get rid of it altogether?

IMHO, flocking should have been banned years ago. As stated by Scott, they are a toxic stew and IMHO increase the likelihood of a fire as it can trap heat. In addition, it adds interest for Parrots to chew on it.

So, yes, keep your Parrot(s) off and away from the tree. Your choice regarding whether to sell it on or not.

OP
petit.perroquet

petit.perroquet

Dec 9, 2020
Parrots
Dill, a cockatiel
Petey, a budgie
Scout, a budgie
I would assume commercial flocking is a toxic stew of substances and chemicals to be avoided. Attached article suggests a variety of ingredients including flame retardants for safety. https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/72819/what-exactly-christmas-tree-flocking

Thanks so much for that info, Scott!! Do you suggest the birds be kept in a separate room from the tree or should we get rid of it altogether?

IMHO, flocking should have been banned years ago. As stated by Scott, they are a toxic stew and IMHO increase the likelihood of a fire as it can trap heat. In addition, it adds interest for Parrots to chew on it.

So, yes, keep your Parrot(s) off and away from the tree. Your choice regarding whether to sell it on or not.

Yes, the more I read, the more Iโ€™m thinking I donโ€™t want to chance it. Thank you both for your thoughts! :grey: :greenyellow:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'd be a bit squeamish unless the tree is in a part of the house never used by the birds. If the tree has been displayed for a while before purchase, it has likely outgassed and fumes ought not be huge issue. Personally, I'd not wish to chance!

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
I'm sure it would be incredibly toxic if it caught alight (god forbid), but I would THINK just being sat on another room or even in the same room at a distance it would be inert?

It's one of those special parrot ownership delimmas about whether you risk the "it will probably be fine" or not! I'm sure there are households across the world who have never even thought about it and have never had any issues at all. I certainly wouldn't have.

OP
petit.perroquet

petit.perroquet

Dec 9, 2020
Parrots
Dill, a cockatiel
Petey, a budgie
Scout, a budgie
I'm sure it would be incredibly toxic if it caught alight (god forbid), but I would THINK just being sat on another room or even in the same room at a distance it would be inert?

It's one of those special parrot ownership delimmas about whether you risk the "it will probably be fine" or not! I'm sure there are households across the world who have never even thought about it and have never had any issues at all. I certainly wouldn't have.

Yes, thatโ€™s exactly the dilemma Iโ€™m having! But I think it will just be better for my nerves not to chance it. Thank you all for your thoughts!!

Most Reactions