Arya's Feathers

Two_Peas

Jul 21, 2013
Parrots
Nico & Arya (Quakers)
So Arya's kind of ugly.

ab07it.jpg

I know, I love her to death, but it's true lol.

I took her to the vet and he assured me she's a Quaker but I don't know. To me she looks like a Quaker got down with a pigeon or something, and Arya came out.

Lately I've been wondering if this is just a lack of nutrition. I've only had her a month. When I got her they told me she was about 2-3 weeks old. The vet thought she was older than that. I don't know where she was before I received her. My uncle got her from a guy who lives in an area practically infested with Quakers. He found her and that's how I got her.

I don't know if she was abandoned by her mother, or what. When I got her the feather situation was BAD. But it wasn't like when a baby doesn't have all its feathers in. The back of her neck was basically patches of skin, she was SO dirty. Obviously she's gotten better and she's gained some weight, but her feathers are still dull and she's barely growing. She has some bright green coming in around her legs, but that's it. I've looked at countless of pictures of Quakers and she doesn't look like any of them. She looks like a green pigeon!

She's about 85% weaned. In the mornings she eats a breakfast of: broccoli, cheerios, oatmeal, carrots, grapes, papaya and yogurt. Throughout the day she snacks on: bananas, millet, watermelon, mangoes, (whatever fruits or veggies we have in the house), whole weat bread, and sometimes a little bit of organic baby food. Before bed she eats formula (she doesn't need it at this point, but she wants the comfort/close contact). And of course, her pellets are always available in her cage.

As I said, she has improved, but I'm still concerned. She eats like a horse, yet she's barely gained any weight. She's older than Nico (my other Quaker) but WAY smaller than him. He eats way less than her and is gaining weight SO fast.

Is there anything that I can give her to help her feather situation improve, and to help her grow healthier?

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
It might be because nutrient deficient but it could just be baby feathers. The baby feathers are softer and more fragile than adult feathers, so if the baby feathers got damaged or didn't grow very healthy then he might be "ugly" until he goes through his first molt. Haha He doesn't look ugly to me, he just looks like a baby. Just keep up the good work and if the vet says he's healthy, he should be fine. Give him baths every day or every other day and that might help too.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I agree with JadeC. She doesn't look ugly, just like a baby bird...they're not always exactly pretty. :D Sounds like she's on a pretty good diet, too.

OP
Two_Peas

Two_Peas

Jul 21, 2013
Parrots
Nico & Arya (Quakers)
Thanks for the reassurance, guys! She's smart and happy, so that's what matters. I'm scared of molting; hopefully it won't be too bad.

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Don't be scared of molting!! Haha It's easy :p They love being preened and baths and outside will definitely help keep them happy during this time. Think of it like a dog shedding mixing with dry, itchy skin like when you are healing from a sunburn. Haha They just get a little grumpy, but not too bad!!

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Mmmmm, nope, that's not a baby plumage. Baby quakers don't look like that even when you don't feed them right. Did the AV do blood work or was it just a visual examination?

Also, PLEASE, NO HUMAN CEREALS!!! Contrary to what most birdsites will tell you, human cereals are not good for birds, they are loaded with iron which causes liver damage in birds. Plain oatmeal, the old fashioned kind or the Irish one (better than the rolled) are fine but no processed cereals. Humans have dietary needs that are completely different from avian ones.

OP
Two_Peas

Two_Peas

Jul 21, 2013
Parrots
Nico & Arya (Quakers)
It was a visual exam.

Thanks for the heads up. She doesn't always get Cheerios, but I read in another link that they're okay.

Most Reactions

Latest posts